Height restrictions on fast ferries

grahamh

Hello,

We're struggling with one of those hideous grey 'snail' contraptions that sit on top of tourists' cars to enable the transit of completely unneccessary items.  Are they allowed on hoverspeed and speedferries etc?  What happens if we are slightly over the height limit when we empark?  Must we jettison?  Would be most grateful for any pointers.....

Graham

Can't see it being a problem on Hoverspeed. In the past we have dragged a caravan behind and two bikes on the roof of a Range Rover. Mind you the stevedores were cringing as we drove on and off, they reckoned there was a couple of inches clearance to the handlebars.

Don't forget to add the height on when you book.

Other posts reckon that Speedferries will be taking caravans next year, give them a ring to check.

These contraptions are not for 'completely unnecessary items'. They are for your luggage on the return journey, when the car is too full of wine to allow anything else inside. However, I believe it is illegal to carry passengers in the roofbox.

[quote]These contraptions are not for 'completely unnecessary items'. They are for your luggage on the return journey, when the car is too full of wine to allow anything else inside. However, I believe it is...[/quote]

Oh? So what are those long boxes designed for if not to let the other driver have a proper kip? I know you can put skis in them but I thought they were designed as a sleeping compartment!