Moving house contents

judybos

Can any one help, we are in a fortunate position of using a friends 20ft container to pack all or most of our belongings for our move to SW France early spring next year, which will be transported professionally by one of his drivers. We know about making a full itinary for all our possessions, but does every packing case have to be itemised with the items enclosed or can they be done in a less time consuming way i.e pots and pans !! also how many itinary copies would we need for customs etc, help from any one who has done their own removal, pro's and cons ! would be be very much appreciated. Judy B

Agreed, you shouldn't need an itemised list, but when we had a holiday home in the north, we once got a really stroppy customs guy. The car was loaded up with gardening stuff and DIY tools. We had to get everything out, explain why we were taking it, and when we had bought it???!!!

On the return journey, I would swear it was the same guy. That time, after dislodging a few things, the smell of all the filthy stuff put him off.

When we moved here we came in a box van - and seriously underestimated how much we could get in it. I made a detailed list, of which I made two copies, of the contents of every single item, in each numbered box. It was of great use to me, and thats what I did it for.

[quote]Agreed, you shouldn't need an itemised list, but when we had a holiday home in the north, we once got a really stroppy customs guy. The car was loaded up with gardening stuff and DIY tools. We had to ...[/quote]

Thank you for advice,  will make two itinary lists and also number packing cases for our benefit !  never moved before - (me thinks this could be quite stressful) certainly a good old clear out will be needed ! My other half has promised me a dishwasher for our early retirement,should I buy here or in france as they do seem cheaper here ? and will work in France according to the KZ's i.e 50-60

If you havn't moved before, or for a very long time, you will probably have stuff you have not even seen for years, never mind made use of. Time for the 'life laundry'. It took me 6 months of gradual, then at the end feverish chucking out. One charity took two transit vans of stuff.

I had a disastrous moving experience a few years ago with a very well known company, who did all the packing, at great expense. I was out at work. There was no way of telling what was in each box.  They also seriously underestimated how much stuff we had. It was hell, and made the move much more stressful.

On my numbered boxes and itemised lists, I was very detailed - things like 'small brown jug from ireland'. Everyone laughed at me then, but not when we arrived.

Buy your dishwasher in France - makes sense in case anything goes wrong with it, especially while under guarantee. Just my opinion.

The only domestic appliance which we have found significantly cheaper in UK over the last four years are Dyson Washing Machines. You need to check super/hyper markets for best prices.

By the time you have changed the plug and risked draging it back to UK if it breaks down even a 10 % saving becomes small beer.