Car breakdown and personal Health Insurance

Anndee6

Trying to arrange Car Breakdown and personal Health Insurance.Twice in the past year we have gone with Rescue France Direct, today we are unable to contact them by phone or Email.

Does anyone know if they have gone out of business or not?

If they have,who do you recommend? Have got a quote from a few including Europ Assistance, Eurorescue and VehicleRescueDirect Norwich.

Who would you recommend, bearing in mind the cost etc.? We are AA members but find they are far too expensive.?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ann

I was un fortunate enough to break down while holidaying in France a few years ago.

I can honestly say that although the AA may not be cheap, based on my own experiences I would not take a car to Europe without their 5 star cover.

If you want to read about how the AA handled my breakdown dilema, have a look at the driving section and then "An important true story" of www.languedoc-holiday-guide.com

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Simon

Last time I hired a car from Hertz, after a couple of days it developed a problem. So I tried calling their helpline on my mobile. Their helpline does not take calls from mobiles. I nursed the car to a land line and they answered at once and got a mechanic out to me.

The lesson is, with a Hertz car, do not break down unless you are near a land line. Simple really.

Check if your insurers helpline accepts calls from mobiles.

To go back to Rescue France, with whom I still have a policy valid up to July 2005, I phoned the CityBond number to check if my policy was still good if I should have cause to call on it, but the girl on the other end knew nothing about RescueFrance at all.  :-(

However, I then rang the "non-emergency" number listed on the back of the RescueFrance policy - a company called Connect - and they said that Yes indeed, City Bond have bought RescueFrance "after Andy Paul retired".  And that current policies were still OK.

It would have been rather better PR if RescueFrance had written to policy-holders to explain the situation though, wouldn't it?

Angela