Commuting from France

Peterru

Hi, new member & first message so forgive me if I am going over old ground. My wife and I are seriously considering "downshifting" by moving to the Pas de Calais next year.

The plan is that she will live in France, run a small gite and earn a little by doing reiki and alternative health treatments. I, poor chap, will keep my job in West London, and live with my dear white-haired old mother during the week.

On Friday nights I will zoom down to Folkestone and catch the Eurotunnel connection to Calais, possibly hire a car from there for the weekend, and return to Blighty early on Monday morning.

Is anyone else doing similar, and have there been any appreciable problems, other than the cost and time?

Thanks. You are quite right, I should take the car over from Folkestone. I had assumed that it would be cheaper as a foot passenger and hiring a car on the other side, but as you point out, this is not the case.

I would really like to hear from regular commuters about their experiences. It looks like it is going to cost me about ÂŁ100 each week, or am I missing something in the small print?

My brother did this journey every third weekend for four years from Arras to see his children in boarding school in Oxfordshire and it got him really down in the end,even with shared driving. He found he could travel in the tunnel for ÂŁ25 if he returned to France after midnight but the crossing would take anything from 1.5-2hrs for maintenance vehicles slowing everything down. He crossed as a food passenger a few times and it cost and arm and leg and he was made to pay excess baggage for a large holdall even though he could carry it easily. Apart from the current high price of petrol/diesel have you worked out the costs of commuting every single weekend as well as the fatigue and stress of having to do it?

My husband commutes weekly, but from Cherbourg. He actually finds it less stressful than when he was in the UK as we now live closer to his head office than before. He does have the benefit of usually managing to return home on the overnight ferry on Thursdays, which gives him Friday at home, and often leaves again on a Monday pm/eve. He reckons that only having weekends at home would be harder to cope with.

Regards

Chris

Unfortunately, current work commitments mean that I have to do a 5 day week in the UK. But it looks like I can catch the 19.58 from Folkestone on Friday and return on the 07.23 on Monday. This for the current price of ÂŁ98.  

Eventually I would look to work a four day week, or less if we could afford it

My main concern is obviously availability, and the cost of booking a series of crossings well in advance to overcome this. Have other travellers found the service reliable, and are there any "hidden extras" that would bump up the cost.

Haven't looked at the cost of amending my motor insurance cover yet either!

Perhaps you could look into the possibility of using Eurostar Waterloo - Frethun. There is free parking at Frethun, loads of space.  Perhaps if you had a car in France which your partner could use in the week she could drop you off and pick you up? 

Stick with the Eurostar option. If you do decide on Eurotunnel, aim for an earlier train. I get the 6:30 ish once a month and even then I get stuck in the M20/M26/M25 nightmare. You'll also have to deal with the major roadworks further round if you're going to West London and they run until the end of 2005. Let the train take the strain 

We are moving to France for good end of the month/early December. Hubby is going to work one week in the U.K and then spend one week with me in France. I have just booked all his flights from Luton to Dinard and return Dinard to Luton with Ryan Air and have been pleasantly surprised that they have only cost ÂŁ14.82 one way.

Works out cheaper per month than what he was spending each month on petrol from our current home to his work place.

We can't wait to get there this has been 2 years in the planning.

Rita

Good luck Rita, sounds like you deserve it! Frustratingly, Ryanairs schedules, like all the "no frills" airlines just don't work out for me. No flight late enough on Friday and none first thing Monday for the return trip. Similarly, Eurostars last train that stops at Frethun from Waterloo is the 17.09, just an hour too soon for me.

Maybe I should get them to agree to my schedules instead? Only recently started a new job and changing hours at this early stage is not likely to meet with approval.

So it looks like taking the car from Folkestone to Frethun is the only option as there is plenty of choice and the journey from West Surrey is not too bad. You never know, they might offer me a frequent user discount (not!!)

Hi Peter.

I have a house in the Pas-de-Calais area and am gearing up to commute.  Although my office is in London, I am fortunate enough to be able to work at other offices in Kent, which makes it much easier to travel. 

I have had a test-run and find it quite easy (easier than commuting over here !) and go on the Eurotunnel with my car from Folkestone to Calais in the early evening and back again in the morning (or over the weekend). 

In terms of costs, I have done a deal on that which makes it quite affordable.

If you would like more info, I would be more than happy to help.

Good Luck.