unbelievably cheap crossing price.. just booked

Firstly.. I have no connection with this carrier, any agents, and have no agenda in any ongoing price war between ferry operators. I am an individual from the UK with a pile of bricks and rubble in Normandy. just thought i'd clear that up in case anyone thought this was some kind of advert or endorsement

Basically, like most people I've done the usual phoning, checking the sunday papers and the various websites over the past few years, trying to get cheap crossings accross the channel. I live in Preston and our place is 60 miles due south of cherbourg, so naturally the St Malo, Cherbourg or Caen ports are preferable. The best i'd had to date was a little over £120 off season for a couple of adults and a child into cherbourg. At peak times, i'd used Norfolk lines and ended up a bit higher up the coast than I would have liked, and despite it basically being a greasy spoon type of operation, suited maily to honourable truckers, it was okay.. no complaints

This year, we've seen the demise of the P&Ocrossings into my preferred ports so I'd been looking at BF (WOW thats cheap... NOT!!!!)

So here's the outcome of my little check:-

BF  August 14days Car, Trailer  £624

Speedferries  August  14days trailer  £52 !!!!!!!!!!!

I've booked it and I also booked another crossing at the end of May  same price. In all I'll probably save over £750 doing this.

Downside 

I'll have to go to dover as opposed to portsmouth.. (another 38 miles) and i'll get into Bolougne instead of cherbourg (okay this is quite a downer at 180 miles more driving)I'll pay about £25 on the toll roads each way if i want to use the autoroutes 

But on the upside  

Bolougne is seldom as affected by industrial action as the other main ports.The crossing is quicker, which means the extra time driving is saved already. Service seems good, with friends reporting the service to be mainly on time and treatment and facilities was good.More importantly, my cash is going to a forward thinking entrepeneur who wants to break the channel pricing monopoly, and not to the dinosaurs who think that 70 miles of water should cost as much to cross as a 14 day mediteranean cruise with free drinks and a swimming pool

Of course I'll arrive a bit more tired, and if the engine packs in half way, or they go bust in April i'll have egg on my face but having only paid £102 i'll not lose too much sleep over it

In conclusion, there is a great deal of money to be saved.. money I can spend on materials for the ruin, or quality food and wine. I know i'm not the first person to mention this company. I just wanted to add my own opinion

Cheers

Lee

It's brilliant at the moment isn't it? We always travel with BF but next week we are using Speedferries despite a much longer drive both in France and the UK because it is costing us just £15. Even with the extra fuel, tolls, wear and tear it is still a huge saving on the BF fare. I know it won't last, but for now-let's make the most of it

Regarding the "downside" comments I am sure that you will bear in mind that unless you are "time poor" and have to get to your destination quickly you have plenty of money in hand to stay overnight in Boulogne (definitely in Old Town where there is an Ibis) and then drive across country (via say Grandvilliers/Louviers/Falaise) and arrive fresh and save all the motorway tolls as well.

This is what we do in reverse starting between Avranches/Mortain.  You say you are 60 miles south of Cherbourg - ? Villedieu - so your route might have to be slightly different.

Long may Speedferries live.  (we always book by credit card so would be refunded if they go broke...)

Hereford

I'll have to go to dover as opposed to portsmouth.. (another 38 miles) and i'll get into Bolougne instead of cherbourg (okay this is quite a downer at 180 miles more driving)I'll pay about £25 on the toll roads each way if i want to use the autoroutes .

Le Scouse, just to add to your good news, I think you'll find the tolls are even less than that.  We always use the toll roads from Calais/Bologne to Caen - they're free from there through Manche, and our last bill for the return trip was 42 euros, not pounds!!!

It is because of people like you that poor (ha ha ha ha ha) old Robbing Sods sorry, Brittany Ferries have disclosed a drop in customers of 4....something% .

I had tears in my eyes whilst reading the article so didn't catch the exact percentage.

Me?  I'm braving Dover next trip.  All together now..OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

[quote]It is because of people like you that poor (ha ha ha ha ha) old Robbing Sods sorry, Brittany Ferries have disclosed a drop in customers of 4....something% . I had tears in my eyes whilst reading the ...[/quote]

Can you supply the reference for that?  It will make interesting reading.

I'm travelling out next week and I've had to pay £385 period return with owner's discount.  Travelling out again at the end of July is £435.  That's for one person, dog and car.  £103 for cabin accommodation.

HI Lee

Out of interest to you and other Forum members,recentley booked my LWB Renault Master on Eurotunnel for 146 euros return .No problems with strikes or bad weather ,only half an hour waiting,32 mins crossing brilliant,crossing times are restricted but suit us (Live near Maidstone Kent)

Moving down to SW France on the 2nd of April .

All the best to all Forum members  DJ: