I have a little phobia....;

zeb

......which I'm told I share with Joanna Lumley (amongst others)!!

I can't drive over high bridges.

I'm driving back home from Essex to France via the Dartford road bridge in July and wondered if there are people there who will drive the car over (I'm OK as a passenger) for folks like me?

I'm OK once I get to France as there are no high bridges from Boulogne to the Charente apart from a couple of short viaducts which I have learnt to avoid, but I don't really want to drive the wrong way around the M25 to avoid Dartford.

Failing that, are there any drivers out there who would like a one way trip to France??

PS I love the Paris periferique so I have no problems with traffic!!

Hi,

Woolwich Ferry is a good idea but what about the Blackwall Tunnel? It has very good access from M11, A12 & A13 and once on the south side the A2 or A20 give good access to M25.

I can empathise with your little phobia, while high bridges don't trouble me, driving along roads with a sheer drop down one side and little/no parapet, I am not happy. It's not as if I'm suddenly going to pull to the right, after all, I never do that on ordinary roads but get me on a high road and I'm glued to the centre line.

Have a good journey !

Another Dave

I'm OK once I get to France as there are no high bridges from Boulogne to the Charente apart from a couple of short viaducts which I have learnt to avoid, ...

--------------

Don't like to worry you, Zeb, but there is a colossal viaduct at Echinghen, just east of Boulogne, on the A16!   But maybe you have found a way to avoid it by perhaps keeping on the N road until you reach the next junction south...

Angela

PS I love the Paris periferique so I have no problems with traffic!!

I love the Peripherique too, especially certain bits such as approaching Pte de Clichy.  I always think, "Asnieres next, we'll be home soon".  But why is it no matter how clear the road is beforehand, the traffic always, always grinds to a halt as soon as you enter a tunnel?  Being ever so slightly(!) claustrophobic, I nearly freaked out recently in the longish one under the Bois de Vincennes.  And there's no way I could do the western section with the even longer tunnels under Parc des Princes and the Bois de Boulogne.  So we all have our different phobias.  I also can't understand how anyone can happily spend a night in a tiny cabin several decks down on a cross Channel ferry.  I'd much rather sleep on deck.  M

That bridge was a bit of a surprise to me when I drove back down to Dover the other month.  I saw it when I was paying to enter the tunnel and thought no more about it....

It was a good job OH wasn't with me or it would have been panic stations!

I will investigate the Blackwall tunnel for when we BOTH come over.

Being a Good Wife