Booking early or late?

Monika

What is better as Members of the Property Owners Travel Club, to book early or late. Going across this week, we were told that no special deals nor discounts for above are available? We are going over again end of September.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I've booked early and late, -  but find that if I leave it late and want to go or return on a Friday or saturday  then I have to select a different time or day as no 2 berth cabins available.  - I've already booked for mid September and the end of October. (Portsmouth to Caen route).  BF don't seem to drop their prices nearer the time.

Becky

• 2 weeks later...

Jan 1st 2005 we booked for all our crossings for the year (Feb, Apr, July, Oct) with the preconception that booking early means cheaper.

In the case of our July crossing by pure chance I was checking the crossing times online and noticed our crossing (exactly the same) was now £100 CHEAPER !!   ARGGHH

Fortunately it was 2 weeks before the balance was due. I rang and cancelled the original booking and rebooked.  We lost our £10 deposit but saved £90 overall.

This wasn't true for all our crossings so I'm still not sure whats best.  I do now check the price of crossings a few days before the balance is due - just in case.

Emma

After discovering a £260 difference in fares between BF (with Property Owners discount) and Speedferries, for crossings starting at the same times on the same dates, I decided that BF (and its discount) can go and sink themselves in midchannel.

For short stays in France it is cheaper and easier to fly and hire;for long stays in the summer the additional travelling time is unimportant since the distance I have to drive always requires an overnight stop.