Travelling to South West France via Rouen

Annecopsey

Please could anyone give me a failsafe way of negotiating Rouen as each time we have travelled we have gone a different route ,it seems. Even on the return leg we have ended up going through the centre of Rouen when we really wanted to skirt it on way to Boulogne.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Clarkkent's route. I am travelling to the Alencon area and the road down to Evreux, Nonancourt, then the N12 is far quicker than the slow N138.

Now waiting on the opening of the A28, but then that brings more problems in Rouen. Pity they have not got a route around the city.

Brian.

Going South:

Enter Rouen on A28 via tunnel, Do watch for speedtraps!

On exit from the tunnel, follow signs for A13 Paris. Continue to do so after crossing the river Seine, as the road turns sharp right then comes round under itself and joins a main road paralleling the railway. Continue to follow signs for A13 Paris.

Eventually this road crosses the railway, then go straight on over what my kids always called "the cowabout", a large roundabout with lifesize cows on it. Continue until the road splits for A13 Paris, being careful not to go towards A13 Caen.

Join A13, eventually fork right onto A154 signed Evreux.

Going North: Even easier. Come up the A154, which joins the A13 Caen. Continue until you see the large sculpture "Sur le trace des Vikings", in stainless on your right. Now start looking for signs for Boulogne. It's actually junction 22.

Follow signs for Boulogne, which takes you right off the motorway and over the "cowabout" again. Continue without turning off until you go UNDER the railway.

Now get into the right lane, and look for signs for Boulogne, Calais, A28. It'll take you up a ramp, and right, over the Seine. Stay in the middle lanes until you see the tunnel entrance, following signs Boulogne, Calais. On exit from the tunnel, you're back on the A28.

Messed up the first time I went, but not since.

Alcazar 

Abbeville to Rouen will remain free.

The route for the link around Rouen is not yet decided so will be a long time coming. They are currently holding public meetings to discuss the route for an Eastern bypass, (A28 north to the Cows Roundabout) which  should be ready about 2010 (Don't hold your breath!). There will then be a further project for a western route to directly link the two parts of the A28 around the west of Rouen. Which will be ready..........

The new section , Rouen to Alencon, is a toll route and was originally forecast to cost something like 10 Euros.