Eurotunnel - tickets and financial position

Alane

I'm considering buying 10 frequent traveller tickets from Eurotunnel that will cost me £390. I'm holding back to see if I can determine what the position would be with this scheme in the event of the banks foreclosing during the forthcoming face-off between the Eurotunnel board and the creditors.

Does anyone know if these tickets would be covered by ABTA bonds or the like. I suspect not but I am far from being an expert. If that is the case then I'm concerned that members of the scheme would be treated as unsecured creditors.

Anyone know what the situation would be or have any feel for how likely such an outcome is?

Regards

Alan.

Alane, I had exactly the same fears as you, but as BJSLIV suggests above, I purchased them using my credit card so feel reasonably secure...

I like the scheme, found it very easy to book my crossings and I like the flexibility it offers - although Speedferries is cheaper (and I do feel a bit guilty about not supporting them), I like the fact that I don't feel constrained to having to arrive exactly on time - if I miss my crossing, hey, no problem, there's another one imminently! (Obviously at peak times like last Saturday I try not to miss my train as there is no guarantee that you will get on the next one, it is subject to availability so there may be a wait if subsequent trains are full!)

Thank you both for the response. Now why didn't I think of that in the first place?

Catherine - I've usually had no problem with flexible tickets but for no apparent reason one Sunday night in June we were kept waiting over two hours due to the service being busy. We couldn't understand why as the service didn't seem very full but we had to accept the wait and in fairness we'd have waited as long or longer for a ferry.

Best Regards

Alan.

[quote]Assuming that you would be buying them in the UK, why not buy using a credit card, and use the consumer credit act as a fall back protection?[/quote]

That is correct and a good point, but do remember if your card transaction is below £100 which is still possible on Eurotunnel you are not protected.

Baz

Yes, I'm pretty certain that if it does go belly up [surely not] we would be last in a long line of creditors and would get nothing. So the credit card is a good idea. In fact I know of no other way to pay. I too feel Speedferries need support but the Shuttle is just soooo convenient, especially when, like me, you come from the north and will almost certainly get delayed en route.

Patrick

[quote]Thank you both for the response. Now why didn't I think of that in the first place? Catherine - I've usually had no problem with flexible tickets but for no apparent reason one Sunday night in June w...[/quote]

I belong to the Frequent Traveller scheme and rang them recently on a Saturday afternoon to book for early Sunday morning around 1.00am. They said they were full and the first spaces would be at 4.45am.  When I arrived in Calais at 1.00am they did let me on the next crossing. There seemed to be plenty of space.

Mind you I nearly missed it because I got stopped by customs - for the third consecutive time! 

[quote]Am I right in assuming the frequent traveller tickets are one way, ie. £390 for ten single tickets? Brian.[/quote]

Yes, you are correct they are for single journeys. However, they only apply for off peak travel and a supplement of an extra £20-£30 each journey is charge depending whether you go Standard or High peak. If you look at the website below you will find all the details. I think there a far better deals around if you are prepared to travel by sea and without time of crossing restrictions.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcPassengers/ukcProductsServices/ukcFrequentTravellers/

Baz

And they explained to me that the point of selling 10 *single* tickets instead of calling them 5 *return* tickets gave you the possibility of amending each leg of the journey once you have booked it. 
i..e.:
If you book your journey as a *return*, you must make any amendments to either leg before your journey begins (i.e. before your outward journey).  But if you book it as two *singles*, then you can amend either leg before that part of the journey, as it is effectively two separate bookings.

Hope that's clear as mud...

Angela