Ryanair fares

johnv

John

My experience is that it depends - on business. I watched one (Xmas) flight increase steadily, then - suddenly - there was an offer on it and I got it cheap. Though the general concensus with the low-cost is the nearer you get to flying the dearer they become - the opposite (usually) with the likes of BA.

Since this is just before Easter, it may depend on which way you are flying - they price for the peak out from UK I think - so going to France Sun eve can be reasonable, but Th. Fr. Sat not - likewise on the way back. But they may also price for those returning to visit relatives - who knows with Ryanair?

In the end it probably depends on how flexible you are on cost and timing - I work on the prinicple that if I must go that day and it is an "acceptable" price - I book it, so that then I know where I am!

That said - 29.99 at this stage (ie three wks away) may be the best you will get unless they have a sudden sale - as above. You pays your money and you takes your choice - as they say.

thanks for that, I thought it was probably the case .. this is so frustrating, as I'm trying to set up a meeting with my notaire, but it's about one email a day, he checks back with his boss, and the costs of the flights go up and up ...

You could try the flight checker on http://www.moneysavingexpert.com -

that way if they are using cookies you are getting flight prices

without visiting the companies own website and so allowing them to set

a cookie  Also means you can search several lo-cost airlines at

the same time.

Hastobe

I paid £19.70 including taxes to Limoges six weeks ago , I notice today it is 129.99 plus taxes so I think it is best to book early, I think they look at the bookings weekly and adjust accordingly, there is no easy way to work how they opperate , but I have always booked early and saved money.

This may be a slight divergence from topic but I have just booked

Ryanair from Dinard to Stansted in early june for E12.50. I have

absolutely no experience of Ryanair ( living where I do) and wonder

just how reliable they can be at that sort of pricing. Any comments on

that aspect??????

Regards

[quote user="vervialle"]I paid £19.70 including taxes to Limoges six weeks ago , I notice today it is 129.99 plus taxes so I think it is best to book early, I think they look at the bookings weekly and adjust accordingly, there is no easy way to work how they opperate , but I have always booked early and saved money.[/quote]

My understanding is the pirices go up as the seats get sold.  So for example if the plane has 100 seats, the first 20 will get sold at £1.00, then the next 20 at £15.00, the next 20 at £40.00 and it goes onwards and upwards like that.  Until of course the last 20 pay £200.00. 

With BA and the like I think its partly the same.  However we use Gatwick to Nantes (hubby works in the UK) so I'm always trawlling through their site to get the best prices.  The price starts off low and as they get booked go up.  But also if the flight is vrey popular they will add another flight for that day and so the price comes down again.  With the Llw budget airlines, I don't think they are able to do this.

Dotty

[quote user="powerdesal"]This may be a slight divergence from topic but I have just booked Ryanair from Dinard to Stansted in early june for E12.50. I have absolutely no experience of Ryanair ( living where I do) and wonder just how reliable they can be at that sort of pricing. Any comments on that aspect??????

Regards

[/quote]

Powerdesal

I my experience I have had delays and problems with both type of airlines.  Only recently having a flight booked with BA from Gatwick to Nantes was delayed 5 hours, due to a problem with the plane.  However BA offered refreshment vouchers (Gatwick has lots of restaurants to choose from) and told me if the plane could not be fixed they would use another one.  On the other hand.  Had a similar delay from Poitiers to Stansted with Ryanair.  Due to Poitiers airpor thaving pretty much nothing there, we couldn't eat.  There wasn't even enough seats for everybody so sit on whilst the problem was being sorted out.  Had the problem not been sorted, they wouldn't of been able to use another plane, due to them not having any spare. 

I think that when the services work, then you really can't go wrong with the cheaper airlines, but when it does, you wished you had paid that lillte bit extra.

Dotty

Indeed, been there too! At one time we thought we'd never make it - but we did - but I see the problem, can't book till you know when the meeting is and then no choice.... low cost seems only to work for those who can be flexible - and this is not always the case. In the end we just had to go for the best price we could get on the agreed dates, not cheap, but could have been worse!

Good luck - but I'm sure you'll get there - plenty others have already proved it does somehow all work out in the end!

thanks all .. booked now! but I did  notice that the site has changed in the last few weeks since the last time I booked ... they automatically add on £9 insurance now, and you have to check it off, they charge for the bags, and when it is all over, they charge you £7 for using a credit card .. even though mine is a debit card .. AND they no longer have that nice link to hertz, which went straight in to the cheapest car - rental, atomatically suppying your flight details etc ... oh well, it's still cheap ..

[quote user="johnv"]

they charge you £7 for using a credit card ..

[/quote]

Looks like the credit card charge has gone up as well - I booked 1 March for a trip over Spring BH and my credit card charge was only £3.50. And in case you don't think you got a good deal. John, (if you did get it at £29.99) booking almost 2 mths in advance, my total return fare (sans insurance but all other taxes etc) was £92 - still in this case it was cheaper than the train, which is still my preferred option .....much more civilised......