Pont L'Abbé

[quote user="cheminot"]

I have just completed a return trip

from Plymouth to Roscoff on the Pont L'Abbé.  I now know the

meaning of the phrase, 'To hell and back'!

cheminot

[/quote]

I thought it was "To Hull and back" is there a new episode ?

'From Hull and Halifax and Hell, good Lord deliver me' (the Dalesman's Litany).We can probably add Plymouth and Roscoff to that.

Seriously, we had family members come over on that ship when it was on the Cherbourg route - including a rather rough overnight crossing. They are not good sailors, but didn't think it was too bad at all. They said the interior was very clean and well maintained, they thought about on a par with the Normandie, though there were signs of age around the car deck areas.

It is only temporary until the new Bretagne 2 is delivered, specially designed for the Plymouth-Roscoff route.

[quote user="Will "]

It is only temporary until the new Bretagne 2 is delivered, specially designed for the Plymouth-Roscoff route.

[/quote]

Not that "temporary". The new ship is not scheduled for delivery until October 2008 so that's three summer seasons the ship now not so fondly nicknamed "Le Funnel" (you'll know why if you see it !) to carry passengers back and forth between Plymouth and Roscoff.

The main problem with "Le Funnel" is that she was obviously designed for night crossings and has a real lack of public circulation spaces and no reclining seat areas. It is not worth BF making radical changes to the layout, so they have to make do with what they have. The catering facilities are a bit strange as well.

Our friends went over on it last weekend and as very seasoned sailors/naval reserve and large boat owners previously said they thought it was rocking far too much to be safe in really really bad weather which we get down here from October - March.

We went Portsmouth / Cherbourg and back on her a few weeks ago, and she did seem to rock and roll more than other vessels in the fleet. It's not a safety issue as this is regulated sternly in Europen waters (SOLAS) unlike the Red Sea.... however, she did have sponsons fitted some years ago to bring her up to latest stability standards. It's more likely that she is stiffer (greater stability) than average and rolls with the sea. It's all to do with roll periods / wave periods. I also wonder about the efficacy of her stabilisers as I'm sure she was slow steaming on the Cherbourg run (6 hours)

My concerns were not with the stability of the ship or the weather. I have been on a lot worse ships from that point of view. My issue is with the standard of accomodation. Has anyone else tried to sleep in a cabin above or below the bar when the disco is going full blast?

Try to escape the smell and fumes of cigarettes, outside the restaurant this is quite a challenge and as for the standard of the food we were served in there....................!

cheminot