Gendarmes out to increase their coffers

Baz

[quote user="Alcazar"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[Finally, non respect du stop is a class 4 offence - 135/90 euros plus four points plus a potential three year driving ban.

[/quote]

How do they decide whether to fine you €135 or €90?

Someone tell me it's not "pour les etrangers", and "pour les riverains"[8-)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

It's not "pour les etrangers", and "pour les riverains - well, you did ask!!  [:)]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Alcazar"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[Finally, non respect du stop is a class 4 offence - 135/90 euros plus four points plus a potential three year driving ban.

[/quote]

How do they decide whether to fine you €135 or €90?

Someone tell me it's not "pour les etrangers", and "pour les riverains"[8-)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

It's reduced to 90 euros for prompt payment - it's 15 days from the date on the traffic offence notice you receive. 

Similarly my fine for being registered by the camera at 108kph (reduced to an official speed of 103kph for the technical allowance) in a 90kph zone was 45 euros and 1 point because I paid promptly.  If I'd delayed it would have been 68 euros.  If I had delayed more than 45 days in paying it would have been 180 euros.  So 45 seemed a bargain.

Very easy to pay online, by the way. See www.amendes.gouv.fr .

Cue silly response.

[quote user="Cassis"]I guess they could insist on you paying in person at the gendarmerie or by post with the same terms for early or late payment.  That's what they used to do.
[/quote]

Nah...........the sooner they can get the taxes in, the sooner they can spend 'em............sorry, fines, fines, not taxes. Fines, must.........remember............not................taxes..............fines..........[:D]

Alcazar

[quote user="Alcazar"]

[quote user="Cassis"]Very easy to pay online, by the way. See www.amendes.gouv.fr .
[/quote]

Oh, they'll make it easy to pay, alright..................and I think we all know why![;-)]

Alcazar

[/quote]

Easy to pay online yes, but if you're within the 15 days reduced fine then you can't get that online.  You have to pay the full amount, then get a receipt for that payment, then send that off to the centre that collects the fines (in our case Rennes) telling them that you paid within the 15 days and then they reimburse you.  I'msure they bank on lots of people not bothering to recoup their 20 euros - I know I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble in the UK, but here, every cent counts!111

Crumbs - I aught to concider slowing down - I got caught at 260kmph and the nice lady & the very camp gendarme rounded it down to 146kmph for a hefty €90 fine.

It always pays to be polite and have a sense of humour with the constabulary.

[quote user="St Amour"][

Easy to pay online yes, but if you're within the 15 days reduced fine then you can't get that online.  You have to pay the full amount, then get a receipt for that payment, then send that off to the centre that collects the fines (in our case Rennes) telling them that you paid within the 15 days and then they reimburse you.[/quote]

Are you sure you were within the 15 days?  That's very odd.  I paid the reduced fine no problem and got a receipt online.  No need to jump through any hoops.  My hoop jumping days are behind me.