carhire nimes

pault

Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of them in the UK.  Well, we have the same system here in France - one of these cards is called 'Moneo'.  However, I don't know whether they work across borders as they weren't around in the UK when we left (or at least I had never heard of them then).  Sorry I can't help more.  There must be someone on the forum with a UK prepay card who's tried to use it in France, I would have thought.  Come out, come out, wherever you are.

Car hire companies need to protect themselves against anything that may or may not happen to their vehicle. Whilst it may be possible to pay for the hire in cash, they also require to have a signed blank authority on a credit or debit card owned by yourself to cover such things as accident damage, unpaid fuel, late return of car etc. In effect this blank authority allows them to recover any additional costs without further consent from you after the return of their vehicle. I would always recommend that you allow enough time when returning the car, for them to check for any damage and fuel levels and if they are satisfied to ask them to destroy your blank credit card voucher they are holding in front of you.

Baz

It's very unlikely that you'll be able to use a prepay Visa card, IMHO, unless you can provide proof that you've prepaid enough money onto it to cover the deposit required. As an example about 3 weeks ago I hired a car at Bordeaux airport and the credit card slip for the deposit was in the region of about €650. If you're going to hire a car at the airport on arrival your best bet by far will be to book it in advance before you leave the UK. Plenty of internet websites will give you comparative rates from different companies, and the companies themselves will then be able to advise you more precisely what they require. If you've never done this before, as you say, please don't think you can just turn up at the airport and drive away in the car of your choice. It really isn't that simple, and it sounds as if, if you don't get your finger out and do a bit of your own planning and research, you'll be stuck at the airport on arrival with no means of getting anywhere.