BF - Caen-Portsmouth

Does anyone know if the restaurant on the Mont St Michel is open on a Saturday night, 23.30 Caen to Portsmouth, crossing?  Never having done the overnight journey in that direction before (the St Malo-Portsmouth overnight doesn't start until November) we were wondering if we will be in for a quiet dinner or a mad bun-fight or the long queues at the self-service.

Any info gratefully received!

From memory I don't think its open, the self service is, but possibly limited choice ? The most common thing is to arrive in Ouistenham in time to get a meal in one of the restaurants near the port, which are all I fine, there are several but I think my favorite is the first one on the right that is in the street opposite and to the left of the car park. You can be out of the restaurant, past the check in and waiting on the quayside to load in less than 10mins.

No doubt some will post the names  with their own recommendations.

I think the bar is open - or take a bottle and a corkscrew with you.

Last time I went Plymouth Roscoff I was sat in the bar but facing into the ship rather than out the window. I thought it was fairly calm, but one of my companions could see the horizon 'going up and down'..........oddly it seemed an uphill walk to the cabin[8-)][:$][:$]

• 2 weeks later...
having been brought up by my (1/2 french) mother to allways eat where the locals ate, I tried the 'Les Routiers' in Ouistreham before a late crossing. It was a slightly longer walk than the other restaurants, but well worth it.

Proper French food in a proper French resturant :)

(oh, and if I've spellt it all wrong it's because I'm running my Mac in french and the speel chucker isn't the same!!)

[quote user="Paulal"]

Hi, have just read your message

I thought the St Malo-Portsmouth route was running all year

do you mean St Malo-Plymouth which isnt running until late November?

Paula

[/quote]

During the winter Brittany Ferries normal St Malo-Portsmouth Saturday daytime crossing is replaced with a Saturday overnight crossing.  I think it is so they can run the 'cruise' option - leave Portsmouth Friday night and arrive back Sunday morning having spent the day in St Malo.  Doesn't start until November, however.

Thanks for the tips on the restaurants.