erk! parking at Bergerac airport :(

hoverfrog

I have not been to Bergerac airport for over a month now. I am always amazed at the very dusty UK registered cars that look like they have been there for 3 months or more. I doubt if some of them would get through an MOT and I see that many of them have no tax disc.

When the authorities realise what seems to be going on there, I have no doubt that they will sort it out and start charging for parking and checking the legality of some of the cars.

Bob Unfortunately this is the same at many of the airports (and docks) where parking is free, and the Gendarmes who have little else to do between flights do not seem to be bothered.   I use Rodez a lot and the car park and the grass is gradually filling up agian after the last big clearout with old bangers on UK plates with no tax discs or insurance stickers that have been used uninsured through the summer and are now back at their winter resting places. There is an E reg Astra and F reg transit that have been there all year and never moved, they are probably dumped.  All you can do is report them to the UK DVLA and if they have been SORN'd off the road in the UK hopefully the owner if the vehicle is registered to them will get a hefty fine as "off the road" means off any road, including French roads.  Others on here have suggested damaging the tyres but that is criminal damage and at the end of the day the French police should be dealing with this because they must realise that across France hundreds of old uninsured bangers are being used by mainly holiday home owners without any form of insurance that would stand any sort of examination if there was to be an accident.  The result at Rodez will be as at other airports, charges for car parking.

"When the authorities realise what seems to be going on there, I have no doubt that they will sort it out and start charging for parking and checking the legality of some of the cars."

I don't think so, Bob. Bergerac airport has been like this for years. I keep meaning to take a camera - some of the climbing plants have grown up through the cars and out of the joints in bonnets and look quite artistic.

There is a plan to build a proper car park for which people have to pay. Presumably then they'll clear these old ones away. I've been ashamed of the situation at Bergerac and Rodez for ages and the way these people are spoiling what used to be a very relaxed parking regime for the rest of us.

Hoddy