Credit Cards at Petrol Stations

For those not already aware, the Leclerc Supermarkets ( at least those I've tried in the Pas de Calais area ) have now installed new machines which accept UK Credit Cards at the pumps.  So no problem now obtaining fuel 24/7.

On a related note, we have taken out Nationwide credit cards following advice picked up from the various forums, but are finding curiously that they 'work' perfectly well in some shops but not in others. Does anybody else have this problem? I have to say that when we are able to use them the exchange rate going thru the statement is really good, and no commission charges. Their web site is really clear and user-friendly too. They get a definite thumbs up from us, and we are gradually establishing a list of where they work and where they don't.

[quote user="jc"]SAGA credit cards are also commission free in the EU and have an excellent exchange rate but you have to be 50+.[/quote]

That's interesting jc. We are in the right age bracket too! We are 'getting along' with the Nationwide card, and as I say, are learning where it will work OK and where it doesn't. It's just a tad embarrassing the first time you try it in a new shop or restaurant only to have in handed back to you - people tend to stare as if you were trying to commit a fraudulent transaction. The exchange rate is just so good though! Is SAGA rate close to current HIfx interbank rate too?

Don't know how it compares with the interbank rate but it is significantly better than any other credit card we've used.You have to say "avec puce" occasionally  as many shops stiil expect to put UK cards thro' a swipe machine or even on one occasion thro' a flic/flac.

We cut up our Saga cards when a problem arose on an alleged missed payment.  Saga don't do their own cards. They farm them out to Liverpool Victoria and Saga itself was not interested in our difficulty telling us to sort it out with LV.  As a result Saga lost not only our credit card business but also car and house insurance.  Now they have gone in with the AA, expect it to get worse!

Nationwide, on the other hand are great.  Excellent rate of exchange on both credit and debit cards and cashback (on purchases in the UK) on their Gold Visa.

Back to the main theme, many petrol stations are now taking UK cards on the 24 hour machines but you need to look at them first to see if they are pretty newly installed.  I understand that only when a station needs a new machine will they be updated, so well used sites should get them first.

[quote user="Malnoueans"]On a related note, we have taken out Nationwide credit cards following advice picked up from the various forums, but are finding curiously that they 'work' perfectly well in some shops but not in others. Does anybody else have this problem? .[/quote]

I used to have this problem too for over a year until I found the problem that the commerciants were having, now the only problem is being able to convince them of "their" problem.

I bet that in each case they carefully "guard" the keypad (as if you were going to steal it) whilst looking at their terminal, not the keypad that they would eventually give to you but for their terminal saying card not accepted.

What is happening is that the customer terminal is asking "choose language" but the commerciants terminal just says wait (for you to choose the language), if you dont because they will not hand over the keypad then their terminal finally times out with a "card not accepted" message.

Like me you will probably find it very difficult to convince them of this (because after all what do you, a foreigner, know about these things!) and even harder to let them trust you with the keypad before their terminal says so!

If you do succeed they will probably thank you the next time after having successfully processed other foreign cards;

As Leclerc is a franchised chain it is highly unlikely that there will be a national policy on non-French cards. There certainly isn't in the shops, so no reason why there should be at the fuel pumps.

For those arriving in France via Caen Ouistreham, the Esso self-service station outside Champion, as you exit Ouistreham on the main road to Caen, takes British cards, and has done for a few months now.

• 1 month later...

On Sunday we found out that the Intermarche that is around 300 metres from the exit of the peage at junction 12 of the A1(right at the roundabout in the Roye direction)has pumps that will take British cards. This place could be useful as a motorway stop the other 6 days of the week as well since it doesn't close for lunch, so you can buy picnic supplies at a much more reasonable price than the services or have a meal at their Bistrot du Marché.

Does anyone else know of other supermarkets like this that are conveniently near motorway junctions? - you can save enough on a tank full of fuel to pay for your lunch! The only other one I know of is Cora in Limoges - a tankfull easily gets us from Roye to Limoges but I haven't tried the 24h pumps at Cora yet.