FREE LEGAL ADVICE

diddly

[quote user="davey50"]I am planning a move to the Lot from Cyprus and need some legal advice about purchasing etc. Does anyone know a solicitor who gives free basic legal advice?[/quote]

No such thing as free anything in France!

However, most Notaires (house buying) or Avocats (general or specific law) give (perhaps) 1/2 hour free, if they think they will get some paid work out of it.

As Nick says no such thing as free legal advice and that I say as a lawyer.

My advice and as part of the package is to invest in good legal advice.  However in saying that I am not too sure where one will find such a product be it in the UK or here in France and hopefully I do have the inside track in such matters?

However I do know a Notaire who is acting for me in both sale and purchase and she lectures in property law at a major university and deals in inheritance issues and financial planning here in France.  Inhertiance is a problem for me in that I have no children but my wife children from a previous marriage.

I have checked her out as best I can (not my wife) but equally there are good bad and indifferent Notaires throughout France as is the case with Solicitors and Barristers back home.

Sadly there is no absolutely secure way of protecting oneself and you just have to ask and to continue to ask relevant questions.

[quote user="davey50"]

I just wondered because in the UK I think some solicitors provide some basic free advice.

I'll have to pay like everybody else! [/quote]

Perhaps not, it all depends on your needs.

Here in southern Morbihan my OH and I made an appointment to speak to the Notaire with lots of queries re our 'patrimoine' and how best to solve a conundrum we were faced with - a reasonably complex problem. Result 1 hour appointment, lots of options put forward by him and discussed by the 3 of us with comprehensive notes made by me. Happily sorted for the present. Cost = zero as no 'dossier' was opened and no 'written task' demanded of or undertaken by the Notaire.

This seems to be common here - cannot speak of other areas - as it was where we were in the UK.

Sue