Norfolklines ridiculous price policy

AnOther

I've just been trying to book a one way trip on Norfolklines from Dover to Dunkerque for the back end of next month and was shocked to see the price was £249 and was fixed for whatever date I chose.

I went back and made it a return and voila, the price came down to the typical £142, (car + big trailer) so what's that all about, what difference does it make to them whether I come back or not....[:-))]

Obviously I've booked a return and made a guess at when I might want to go back. Nevertheless I'm double miffed because if and when I do go it will certainly be without the trailer but the pricing   automatically assumes it's with so whichever way you look at it I've paid well over the top and feel ripped off. I'm definately going to get onto them whilst in UK and have a good whinge.

BA used to operate a similar policy whereby a return from Gatwick to Aberdeen could be bought for £90 or so but try to book one way and it went up to a flat £189. Thankfully they have now seen the light but clearly Norfolklines have not...!

ErnieY, I am not surprised if you tried to book Calais to Dunkerque!!!!!!

I have just tried via their French site and the fares vary between 110€ and 132€.for the end of August depending on the time of day, for a single trip Calais to Dover,  including a trailer. Seems far cheaper from Calais than Dover!

Baz

I've been booking this year with P&O on the net;I've used them in the past as a stockholder but have found that their web prices,even for daytime crossings are cheaper than they have ever been before plus boats every 45/60 mins..That's Dover/Calais/Dover of course.

[quote user="jc"]I've been booking this year with P&O on the net;I've used them in the past as a stockholder but have found that their web prices,even for daytime crossings are cheaper than they have ever been before plus boats every 45/60 mins..That's Dover/Calais/Dover of course.[/quote]Maybe so for a car alone but with a big trailer Norfolklines are nearly always cheapest.

• 3 months later...

I travel every couple of weeks with Norfolkines. I think the price you had to pay was unfortunate. I usually pay no more than 20 pounds each way (even at short notice when booking). I have often experienced the problems you experienced with the other ferry lines such as P&O and Seafrance. They often advertise very cheap return offers, but they will charge you a very expensive single ticket if you don't return to complete the journey.