Premier Classe Boulogne

Alane

We are over to France for the weekend later in the month travelling to the Tunnel late on Friday so will be on the 00:16 Shuttle. I'm planning to stay at one of the cheapo hotels near Calais overnight (or what's left of it) before travelling on to Normandy on the Saturday morning. The Premier Classe in Boulogne is just off the A16 and is only 33 Euros for a double room. The nearest in price is the Etap hotel at Coquelles which is 44 Euros for what seems to be similar accommodation. Has anyone tried either hotel? Presumably arriving that late we won't be able to get in to the closed car parking so I'm wondering what the arrangements are.

I'd be grateful for any info.

Hi Alan

Although I hav'nt stayed in those particular hotels I have used both "chains" many times.

The main difference is at the Etap there is someone at the reception desk through the night , important sometimes if you are arriving late and don't want to rely on using the credit card machine to get your code to let you in.

Once you get your code you can gain access into the car park although quite a few of the Premier class hotels I've stayed at seem to leave their gates open.

Another consideration is at Etap we are always asked whether we want Smoking or non-smoking.

Oh and the petite dejuner is  better at Etap (cereals etc)

Hi Alan, I stayed at the Etap at Calais about 2 weeks ago and it was fine with a helpful receptionist.  The point about the desk being manned all night is important -  we used the B&B in Boulogne and were kept waken most of the night by local youngsters who seem to book rooms to party in!  I don't think thhis happens at the "manned" hotels like Etap.

Is this a new policy at Etap. They've always been unmanned at night when I've used them.

If the main vehicle access is closed, you go through the pedestrian gate, book in via the machine and the ticket will include the code for the gate. Back to the car anf you're in.

The Eatp at Coqeulle also has a Suite and an Ibis in the same building.

Try B&B too, especially if you have more than 2 adults in the party. Branches with pitched roofs have 2 level rooms with one double and two single beds

We prefer B&B Hotels to Premier Classe.  We have found them much cleaner and the breakfast better - although eat the scrambled eggs at your peril! 

(They are also ideal for families like ours where we can get all four of us into one room - finding a room for 4 people can be near-on impossible, no matter your budget!).

We have stayed at the B&B at Boulogne - which is right next to Premier Classe off the A16.  Had no problems with noise or anything else. I'm pretty sure that they also provide the code for the gate if you get there after hours.

Have fun

Cran

The Etap's I use regularly , Chartres , Chateauroux are always "manned" and I arrive anytime up to 2-00 am .The same person is there serving breakfast a few hours later.Looking at the Etap 2007 guide page 10 it does say only some hotel receptions open 24/7 , but does not specify which when you look at individual locations.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Etap at Coquelles. Not a memorable experience. We arrived at around 1:15am having managed to get an earlier Shuttle than expected. The car park was open, well lit and it seemed that the Suite Hotel and Ibis were manned so no real concerns over security. The Etap reception wasn't manned, check-in using the machine in reception went ok but we weren't offered any choice of smoking/non smoking rooms. The room was as expected, compact, good shower, separate toilet. Generally clean but unfortunately smelt like an old ashtray (previous occupant obviously enjoyed a cigar or ten) as did the bedding. With the window open for half an hour that improved but as it was literally freezing outside not an attractive option but we used the blanket from the third bed and turned the heater up.

All in all as might be expected but not that cheap at 44 Euros. We stayed the Saturday night at the Auberge du President in Cormeilles a good standard Logis for 50 Euros. The room there was small but clean and didn't stink but then I doubt they would have stayed up until 1:15am, or later, to wait for us.

I'd use the Etap again, it is convenient and predictable and to be fair the stale cigar(ette) smell can be a problem in any hotel. I stayed at the Europa in Belfast a couple of weeks ago - which cost a lot more - and it was the same there.

Hi,

When we first started holidaying in france travelling south we always stayed in Formula 1, with shower and tiolet at the end of each corridor. Those were the days!!  Recently we upgraded to Premier Classe,  en suite,  and have always had clean warm rooms,  the breaksfasts have been good too, choice of cereals etc.  The best so far, Beaune, the worst Perpignan.  But having two children we have always had to book two rooms, so might give B&B a try, thanks for the tip. 

Lollie