CAEN -PETROL STATION OPENING HOURS

tegwini

It has never been an issue before,   but as we are arriving at CAEN   at 10.30  pm  (on the road after 11pm?)  and wonder if petrol stations are open at that time, and if there is a convenient one coming from the ferry? 

We don't know Caen at all,   this is our first visit for years on Brittany Ferries,   usually on LD/ Le Havre,  and reluctant to fill up in Portsmouth @ £1.06 per litre!  Name & adress of any much appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards

Tegwini

There is a petrol station on the right just before the Champion supermarket on the road from the port to Caen. If this is closed, at 4KM from the port take the Benouville exit (not the ZA - just afterwards) and follow the signs to the Stak supermarket that has (French) card operated 24HR pumps. If you have a satnav it will take you back onto the main road from there without having to backtrack. If you don't have a French card I should fill up in the UK.

Steve

[quote user="tegwini"]

We don't know Caen at all,   this is our first visit for years on Brittany Ferries,   usually on LD/ Le Havre,  and reluctant to fill up in Portsmouth @ £1.06 per litre!  Name & adress of any much appreciated.

Tegwini

[/quote]

I can understand your reluctance at paying £1.06 per litre. But as of the 13th December there were 5 Portsmouth petrol stations selling at 100.9p and in nearby Fareham 3 selling at 99.9p. So if you were paying £1.06 then the fuel station was ripping you off.  If it were me I would fill up in Portsmouth rather than  trying to find fuel in Caen at 11pm

Baz

Cheapest fuel in the area is at Carrefour, 1 Boulevard du Maréchal Juin, Caen, 14000, on the ring-road 15 kms from then ferry treminal. They are 24/24 pumps, so you'll need a French card to be on the safe side. Prices are currently 1.282€/ltr for unleaded 95 and 1.135€/ltr for diesel.

By all means follow Baz's advice and make sure you are not running on fumes when you get to France. But the above-mentioned (Esso) station near Champion on the route to Caen as you go out of Ouistreham is open 24 hours (unmanned all the time) and is one of the few French stations that takes British cards. The fuel is generally at French supermarket prices too, so you should have no problems using that.

I have a Carte Bleu but forgot the PIN number so I was stranded at a petrol station after midnight near Caen, having come off the ferry.  In common with most stations, it didn't take British cards.  I offered cash to the next driver who arrived to fill up my tank with petrol using his card.  A method of last resort. Fortunately he accepted.  Scary moment.  I won't do it again...

Can I echo the responses by both Baz and Will and suggest that you fill up at Portsmouth before embarking. We now always top up at Tesco in Ashford before taking le Shuttle, as, frankly, for the peace of mind and extra expense (if any) it is just not worth doing otherwise (and we get the Clubcard points!).

Brian (again)

Many thanks all -

we won't be taking any chances &  trying to run on fumes!  Since it's late & winter we will have some diesel- but we have a card.  This week- end even in Southampton we saw diesel at 1.06 and even 1.08 and hear of smaller garages charging more.  It's gone up since 13th  - unfortunately.

Thanks again for the help - shall be taking down the details.

Regards

Tegwini

Just to confirm that the filling station at Ouistreham is open 24 hours a day and takes British cards.  If you want diesel, go to the pumps on your right hand side since the left hand ones have (or had last year when I tried) large nozzles, presumably for lorry-sized fuel tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for responses-

and Ouistreham was open & took an English card & quite a few others  open too.

We're back now, & fuel in Hants/Wilts for diesel is now even more   £1,07 +    !!!   more than 20p per litre more than the French price.

Believe it or not...

• 3 months later...