How long from Calais to Chateauroux

Because of a pet passport problem, we can only arrive in Calais on the 16th April and we need to be in Chateauroux by 17th April to collect the keys of the house we have rented, drive about 25 km to the house and meet the furniture movers before 12 noon, after which they say they will have to leave again to be able to make their ferry booking back to UK.  Mappy says it will take about 6 hours from Calais  to Chateauroux but generally I have found that either they are very optomistic or I am a very slow driver (truth is, I do get lost easily[:$] ).  Can any of you helpful people kindly give me an idea of an average sort of time for the trip to take, bearing in mind that the route Mappy are offering appears to go through Paris?  (Admin, why is there not a smiley to denote utter terror)?  Ideally, we would arrive in Chateauroux in daylight-ish and stay overnight at a dog-friendly Ibis, Logis etc, and trundle off to the immobilier when the open at 9am and everything sorted but will we make it to Chateauroux in time for that or will we have to stay overnight further away?  I have driven 600kms in less than 6 hours many times but that was on South Africa's wide open empty roads, Durban to Jo'burg or back.

What do you guys think please?

The route I always now take is:-

From Calais follow signs to Paris, as soon as you see sign for Bordeaux (just on the outskirts of Paris) follow them.

Keep following signs for Bordeaux, exit A10 onto A71 toward Clermont-Ferrand. Exit A71 onto A20 toward Chateauroux.

This route takes you round the outer Perifique which is not to bad if you avoid the morning and evening rush.

regards colin

We did exactly this route last Easter on our return to France, and stayed at Chateauroux before continuing our journey to Lot et Garonne the next day. It is about 350 miles (560 km), and took us 6 hours. We usually stick to about 120 kph on the autoroute. Not because we are self righteous but we generally have the time to spare. The route we follow avoids the worst of Paris though that depends what time you hit the A86 etc. I love maps but also have GPS (tomtom) which mostly is a blessing or sometimes is a curse.  There is an alternative route (The Francillienne) where I posted our preferred route previously (see below), but if you think my route is it is too "fiddly" for you by all means try the East side of Paris, mostly via the A86 which I think Nelson refers to above.

Good luck

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1184840/ShowPost.aspx#1184840

Pete

We travel to Vierzon regularly from Calais and it takes just under five hours,Chateauroux is no more than an hour from Vierzon.Use the Rouen route which I,m sure is posted on here somewhere, it is virtually hassle and stress free.

Lets be honest, the route via Rouen towards the A71 is OK to Rouen, after that its slow with  loads of roadworks, villages to pass through, many roundabouts and many many trucks, going both ways.  If you have the time,  great and want to save a few bob in tolls then go that way, but for ease go the way Nelson recommends, but remember that getting round Paris in the rush hours is no easier or harder than any other major city so just avoid the peak periods.

Megan, when i travel from Calais to the Chateauroux area, I take the route via Rouen, avoiding Paris entirely. Yes, it's longer in distance and time (maybe about 7 hours compared to 5.5 or 6 hours via Paris) but infinitely easier to drive - empty-ish autoroutes for most of it, bar the last 60 km or so. If you don't want the stress/uncertainty/delay(potential) of Paris, it might be worth the extra time and money.

Re motels, there are several clustered to the north of Chateauroux, just off J12 - we used the Etap, if I remember correctly. Also several restaurants nearby - all OK.

Best of luck.