ryanair

mooky

Hello, Jacqui Too.

I did something similar a while ago. Actually, I presume it was my fault and not theirs. I booked a flight for me and Mr. Polremy. Then I noticed that the second passenger which should have had his name on was blank, absolutely blank (even though booked and charged). I jumped in the car and went straight to the Ryanair desk at Perpignan airport which fortunately is only about 6 miles away. I showed them the printout and they altered it for me - no charge at all. Took me ages to calm down after mind you!

[quote user="Nell"]

I was going to stay out of this one (last time I slated Ryanair I was the butt of al kinds of Liverpool jokes) but fingers are twitching....

Water Rat - I don't understand how you got a flight with Ryanair for the cost of using your credit card. I have just been on the site to book a flight for 28 sept - 5 oct. Flight cost (and it also says on this page including taxes etc..) ZERO. Brilliant I think, so I continue to the nest page and confirm the flight. What do I see  -- Taxes/Fees 50.18 GBP (where did this come from, it says taxes etc are included in the price on the previous page??)  OK - go to the next page and I get - 1 checked bag 24 GBP,  priority boarding 8 GBP,  insurance 10 GBP....   I went no further.. (just an exercise to prove my point really [:D]) So, add to that debit or credit card fees and we are at near enough 100 GBP. Not bad for what started of as a big advert for free flights [8-)]

So Hagar - when your Mum complains - show her this.... I can't work out whether I am doing something wrong (No I don't want replies along the lines of "flying to Liverpool!!![:P])  or some people just lie about what they have paid.

After all that rant - Yes I will still use Ryainair xx

[/quote]

Hi Nell

This is part of the Ryanair confusions (and I like Ryanair) the other week they offered free flights to Limoges Bergerac etc. When you went on the site some flights were listed as 0.00p others at 0.01p. If you clicked on 0.00p you suddenly had taxes added of over £30 a person (another story about no fuel surcharges there) if you clicked 0.01p flights taxes were zero and 1p was all you paid. I got flights last year Liverpool to Cork rtn for 6p in total for the three of us, and they never actually take the 6p as it would cost them more than that to collect.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

One thing nobody seems to question is why it matters one iota to Ryanair, or any airline for that matter, who actually flies on a paid for ticket.

It was some years ago admittedly but whilst in the Middle East it was quite common practice for colleagues and friends to sell unwanted tickets to others and it was never questioned at the airport..

It can't really be a security issue as you still have to show your passport for international travel and incidentally, the insistance by RA and Easyjet for either a passport or photo driving licence for domestic journeys is simply their own policy, nothing else, and presumably designed to ensure that it is the purchaser of the ticket who is actually flying.

[/quote]

There is I believe a requirement for airlines to provide (when known) advance passenger details to destination countries. Whilst they don't fly to the USA (where this rule is strictly enforced) this is quite likely a 'standard' IATA rule.

Would you want to be on a flight which carries a passenger booked as 'Joe Bloggs' and the actual passenger turns out to be one of Bin Laden's buddies...? (no offence intended to the 'Bloggs' family).

One way to check the cheapest flights over a period of time (if you can be flexible on dates) is to use Martin Lewis's flight checker on his excellent site (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com).  If you subscribe to his free weekly newsletter he also highlights any special deals and the timeframe for booking.  As it happens, it isn't working for Ryanair flights today as Ryanair are still having problems with their site, but normally it's very useful.

I also use the www.moneysavingexpert.com site and I'm on the cheap / free flight alert.  Like Jacqui I also have a visa electron card (requested from my bank at no cost solely for booking Ryanair flights).  As others have said you need to be very clear about the charging structure to get the free flights.  We (sister, children and I) just came back from a week in Galway and flew Ryanair for the grand sum of 10p for all five of us.  We have done the free flight thing many times nowand  to many destinations. We are very adept at travelling light so take hand luggage only - hence no baggage charges.  We don't buy travel insurance from Ryanair as we have an annual travel insurance policy that is much much cheaper - and more comprehensive.  We check in online and don't go for priority boarding - seems little point when 60% of the passengers are priority boarding!  If you are careful, watch for the cheap / free flight alerts you can get some amazing bargain holidays.

If you want luxury travel, spot on customer service, free in flight meals and drinks, smiling staff - then don't fly Ryanair.  We are happy to put up with the 'chicken' announcements etc - after all we are only on the plane for a short while.

[quote user="witsinfr"]There is I believe a requirement for airlines to provide (when known) advance passenger details to destination countries. Whilst they don't fly to the USA (where this rule is strictly enforced) this is quite likely a 'standard' IATA rule.[/quote]There is no such IATA rule and where the requirement is imposed it is by the destination country.

The least said about the US the better but, in terms of European travel and with the bizarre exception of Spain, I know of no other country which demands advance information on passengers. Such information can only be transmitted when the flight has closed when the list is definitive.

Like I say, irrespective of who has bought the ticket if Mr Bloggs sells his ticket to Mr Bin Liner then he will have to produce his passport to travel and hence be on the list.