tunnel update

kimg

John

I do not have the figures but accept that there have been more tunnel deaths than ferry deaths (at least in Europe - I really doubt it worldwide, but let's use Western standards of safety).  Now re-do your risk analysis based on road deaths in tunnels and rail deaths in tunnels.  I think you will find the stats are fast approaching the safety level of aircraft for rail deaths.

I must say the same as you for the air V rail stats Andy. I was in the R.A.F. for 12 years as an aircraft electrician and apart from 2 1/2 years in Singapore (domage?) my time was spent on large pax aircraft, Britannia, Comet 2 & 4Cs, VC10, and Belfast. I love aircraft and I love flying, but I HATE tunnels with a vengance. In the same vain I don't mind climbing, but there is no way you would ever get me going caving. I used to get into the most alkward and tiny holes to service aircraft, but no way underground, so it can't really be called claustrophobia or however you spell it!

Apart from that I really don't consider that tunnel to be safe. The lesson was learned after the tragedy of the Herald of Free Enterprise, a stupid mistake, but the tunnel has still not got the safety kit in it that it should have and even if and when it has I would still say no thank you!!!

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I have to say that logic tells me it's not nearly as safe as it could be. For starters, letting people stand about, unrestrained, in a tube travelling at over 100mph, or whatever is barmy. The original plan was to get everyone belted up but they dumped that on cost/inconvenience grounds. If that thing stops suddenly, anyone standing outside their car is going to be plastered over the next partition wall.

[/quote]

A serious question Alan, not a criticism.

Can you think of a scenario which would cause the train to stop suddenly endangering the passengers?

Other than meeting another train head on or the tunnel collapsing, both of which would render seatbelts somewhat redundant I cannot think of one.

And now for my flippant comment:

I have a sister that is a constant nervous wreck and always considering bizarre scenarios where she might be injured, she insisted on wearing her seat belt whilst on Le shuttle, I asked her if she had considered wearing a seat belt or protection all of  the time in case the Earth suddenly stopped spinning.

A derailment would be like losing a wheel in a car, the train would come to a gradual halt but with lots of scraping and grinding, if it were not in a tunnel the carriages could jack-knife roll down embankments etc as we have all seen on such terrible train accidents, similarly a car losing a wheel could roll over, jump the central reservation and hit oncoming traffic etc.

I reckon in terms of derailment/sudden slowing down it is as safe as you could get barring a train using one of the cross-overs at maximum speed.

But hey its all hypothetical anyway, water is I guess most peoples primary concern.

Has anyone travelled on the tunnel in the last few days? We are booked to travel on Thursday evening, back Sunday night - so far I've had no communication from Eurotunnel advising of revised travel times. Are they back to schedule (even if it is a reduced one)?

They seem to be back on a sort of schedule; have a look at the notice on their website, then do a 'pretend' booking and see what timings you are offered. That should give you a pretty good idea.

We've booked for next month; booked the dates we wanted and sort of got the times that suit us.

Jo

Came through on Sunday, they are are now operating 2 trains every 2 hous. On Sunday I was booked on the 16:50 but was transferred to a train running at 17:25, the next train was at 17:30 and then after that at 19:25 and 19:30.

A word of warning, Eurotunnel said they would contact me by email with the revised timings of my booking. In fact they sent a letter to me on the 7th of October although my departure date was the 22nd of September! Do what I did and phone customer services to a precise time for your train.

Thanks for the replies.

We went out Thursday evening - Shuttle departed bang on the time booked. I did call earlier in the day to check on any delays and the chap on the other end seemed surprised that I felt the need to call - he just confirmed that the Shuttle would leave at the advertised time.

Same coming back this evening. We took the precaution of arriving earlier than our usual 30 minutes and 2 seconds before departure time at check-in. We were glad that we had as both crossings were obviously completely full.

For those in a hurry it's worth noting that the crossing time is currently 45 minutes rather than the usual 35 minutes. Not surprising really as the train has to slow down to use the crossover between the two tunnels.

With the Tunnel repairs not expected to be finished until February 09, I hope these points may be helpful for anyone using the tunnel in the next few months. My comments are based on travel in both direction this week and discussions with Eurotunnel Information Centre.

I  agree with Alane comments about the crossing time, although  it is now taking from departure to arrival at least 50 minutes in both directions. The second point of information not published, to ensure you travel on your booked crossing it is advised that you check in at least one hour before departure. In fact they were calling the cars to prepare to board between 45 -50 minutes before the departure time (previously 25 minutes). I suspect any late arrivals may well not get on the train booked especially during daytime when they are running mostly fully booked and would then have to wait a minimum of 90 minutes for the next departure if there was space. Currently Eurotunnel are operating just one crossing every 90 minutes weekdays and increasing it to two crossings every 90 minutes during the weekends.

I would estimate with the increased check in times and extended crossing time the minimum time is 2 hours for the journey from arrival to disembarkation. As many people prefer this method of crossing to the ferries at this time of the year, early booking would be advised if you wish to travel especially during the day.

Baz

• 4 months later...

I thought that this article deserves a quick update. The topic was regarding the CTRL, however the issues had also affected Eurostar services and the reinstated services at Ashford were delayed.  I am happy to report that on 23rd February all services by Eurostar were back to normal, including Ashford International , which now opperates trains to Brussels again.

In 2006 Eurostar reduced most of Ashford international train services, they were stopped and switched to the new Ebbsfleet International station.  Although I don't live close by I think Ashford makes a great day out and is easy to access from Kent. I had free travel on Eurostar from any station so decided to make a day of it to Ashford.

The services will travel to Paris Gare du Nord, or to Brussels South in just over 1 hour 30 minutes from the intermediate station at Ashford in Kent.

Sam

We came over to UK last night by tunnel. Trains were every 30 minutes. Ours was very empty, and the terminal felt eery - so few people were in there that staff were just standing around chatting, leaping to greet any potential customer who went by! We arrived spot on time, too.

Jo