Eurotunnel prices

Steph1

I seem to have a vague recollection of Eurotunnel taking a payment from someones credit card for using the day trip tickets instead of the full price. It was 5-6 years ago I think, and resulted in a mention in the newspapers about it going to court.

They didn't metion in the papers that because it was a credit card you have consumer protection and also the Eurotunnel lost as they were not allowed to take the payment as the journey was not made.

It was a while back so I could be wrong, perhaps someone who has been in france longer may remember it? 

I have successfully used the outbound only leg of a day return ticket with Eurotunnel, P&O, Norfolkline and Trasmanche ferries without any comeback despite the dire warnings on all the booking systems about redebitting the credit or debit card used for booking.

I doubt that they can actually get away with charging more money in this way for only using half of the the service that you had paid for but I would not risk trying to use the return only leg as posted above, not only does it lack imagination but the company would hold all the cards if you are confronted at the barrier.

Not often these days are there promotional day return fares cheap enough to make it worthwhile but they can mean that you can take a mid-day boat for the price of a mid-night one.