eurotunnel 'peak times'

Fay

Copy of an email sent to Eurotunnel this morning:

"I would be interested to know how you can justify Tuesday 23rd Feb (outgoing, early afternoon) and Monday 1 March (incoming, mid-afternoon) as 'peak times' at a time of year when the result is that the saving over your normal price is a mere £10 for the return journey (£118 FT price; £128 standard price).

You clearly don't consider it a peak time for standard travellers.

If this a way of putting up the Frequent Traveller prices then it would be more honest for you to simply increase prices and let customers make a more informed decision.

Thank you for your attention and I look forward to reading your response."

[quote user="Russethouse"]Couldn't be half term could it ?[/quote]

No its only €15 for a return ticket during the half term, I have booked one next week.

On the one hand I am pleased to at last see a French company do anything but put prices up during la crise yet on the other............

Isn't the benefit of the Frequent traveller scheme that you can get (relatively) cheap prices, even if you book at the last minute?

An FT ticket for next Friday would still be £59 , whereas the cheapest single would be over £100.

The cheap prices you have quoted are for non-flexible tickets booked in advance. If you need to change your plans you have to pay a supplement and possibly an admin charge.

For the standard prices I quoted it simply says a charge 'may apply' if you change dates or times but, I think I recall correctly, that's just if you move your dates/times into a more expensive slot. On the crossings to which I am referring (on what I suspect will be a very quiet Tuesday and Monday), the price comparison is what it is.

The number of FT crossings allocated to each journey is limited - if you try to make a booking close to the date of your crossing it's quite common for FT to say 'sold out' when there are standard crossings still available. That is fair enough, but it does mean that 'last minute' bookings on the FT system will always be a gamble.

Some as late as 8th March.

Untill I looked at my calender I didnt realise that February half term was 3 weeks in France!

What good is that to man or beast? Its February and its bloomin cold, not everyone can afford to go ski-ing, in fact pretty much nobody in my area.

Most people around here have already switched into Les vacances mode, all activities cease, some that were already organised have recently been cancelled because "je ne savais pas que c'etait le vacances" , anything ordered you cannot expect for 3 weeks etc and people are saying "Bon Vacances" (meaning dont even think of contacting me for 3 weeks) generally it is a happy carefree "go away its les vacances" feeling all round despite the fact that most people are not given this generous break.

I am on my 6th lot of 10 tickets so not a hardened Eurotunneler like some however we seem to have gone from pretty much go when you like trailer or not to take a trailer pay double and the addittion of a trailer can change peak time or not if you try booking both with and without.

I along with many others got a questionnairre from Eurotunnel last year...'How can we imnprove our service etc' I wish I had thought to say "Stop peeing around with your pricing structure for frequent travellers" I am fine travelling at night on half empty trains but no according to Eurotunnel they are still peak times if you have a trailer.

Shifty the lot of em! ;-)

Maybe time to look at Brittany Ferries again after all I live in Portsmouth by the time I factor in the fuel etc fastcat is a nice way to go when the special offers are on.