Times to avoid Paris

PaulT

Travelling down to 31 via Calais on the 23rd and thinking of visiting the castle that is being built at Treigny:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10440300.stm

We normally go via Rouen and Chartres but it would be a lot shorter and possibly quicker via Paris.

At present we are booked on the 03:27 shuttle (so arrive in France just after 05:00 French time). So with that we would hit the outskirts of Paris at about 07:30 - how bad will it be getting through. The other option is to get the 01:30ish shuttle which would mean Paris outskirts ate 05:30 and I assume that would be fairly easy.

The other option is via Rouen and Paris but a greater distance and time.

via Michelin is indicating it will take 04:45 via Paris and 06:25 via Rouen - but these will be with flowing traffic

You knowledgeable advice is sought.

Thanks

Paul

Haven't been in the Paris area around that time, we are usually quite a bit later.  We don't blindly follow the sat nav now - it wants to take us right in to Paris.  Heading in on the A1 we turn off just after CDG towards Meaux and pick up La Francilienne (A104).  The sat nav picks up that route and takes us round the east side of Paris towards Evry where it joins the A6.  We have seen it quite busy but (perhaps luckily [blink]) never been held up.

Last wednesday I was taking my daughter to Disneyland from here - as the crow flies it looked soooooooooooo simple, google maps reckoned 2 1/2 hours so off we went.

O M G - never ever ever again will I go anywhere near Paris by car!!!! It took 4 1/2 hours largely thanks to the diabolical traffic on the Peripherique which made uk traffic look reasonable by comparison, plus the total lack of any indication of Disney road sineage anywhere.............arghhhhhhh.

We ended up in Bobigny where a charmant turkish family googled us directions and then led us back to the correct road again, but it was an absolute nightmare of a journey.

Next time any of my guests wants to go anywhere remotely near Paris then I am putting them on a train!!!!!

Thanks for the replies - you have made my mind up for me - stay well clear of Paris.

Looking at Eurotuneel website (already booked) but considering putting something on the roof that would take the car over 1.85m and next Friday morning no availabilty until after 6am and none for late evening on the Thursday. So looks like a hell of a lot of vehicles crossing. So do I assume that schools will have broken up [:D] which will mean lots of to Disney [:(]

So if we do visit the castle it will be via the scenic route - Rouen and Chartres

Paul

and most of 'em will be heading to Disneyland - A V O I D !!!!!

I used to live not far out of London within that lovely car park the M25, yet I have never experienced anything like the hell on earth that was on that peripherique last wednesday afternoon, not in 30 years of driving on my old home turf.

I shall stick with contending with tractors & combines from now on merci beaucoup!!

[quote user="Simon"]Why travel to the west of Paris via Rouen and Chatres when your chateau is south east of Paris? I would take the A26 from Calais to Troyes, then on to Auxerre then on to the chateau. Dead easy![/quote]

Thanks for that - in all honesty had not thought about going round that way - used to the Rouen Chartres route.

Paul