Air traffic controllers strike ( To-day 14th October )

James2

Friends flying from Bristol to Bergerac, were sat on the Ryanair plane waiting to take off, when the flight was cancelled due to French air traffic controllers strike.

NO WARNING! NO COMPENSATION! NO CHOICE!

Will air travel always be this bad?

That's really dreadful. When my brother and sister in law were caught up in a 2-hour air traffic controllers' strike in June, they were offered a free transfer to another flight or a full refund by Easyjet. They accepted the free transfer but couldn't get a flight for 3 days. They also claimed and received petrol money and hotel costs.

I knew this morning that this was a very likely outcome, being booked on the return leg of this flight. Surely RA's knowledge was greater than mine ? I was watching the Bristol airport site and actually saw it say Boarding and then Cancelled. I was sure it must have been a mistake !

Apparently Bergerac airport has been at a standstill this week due to the actions of just 5 air traffic controllers and the intransigence of the management. Who knows who is right but both sides seem to not give a toss about the passengers. [6]

If they log into their email, they will probably find an email from Ryanair offering a free rebooking or refund. The problem is at Bergerac airport itself, where the local controllers have their own particular issue. They were supposed to be back at work this morning, but at the last minute they decided not to handle flights, thus giving Ryanair - or Air France, equally affected - no notice at all.

http://www.air-journal.fr/2010-10-14-fin-de-greve-des-aiguilleurs-du-ciel-a-laeroport-de-bergerac-513679.html

It's very unfortunate but this is a problem specific to Bergerac.

Regards

Pickles