Insurance and SatNavs

Théière

I heard a little while ago of a car owner having his insurance voided after an accident because he had fitted a TomTom (a modification) without informing his insurer (UK)

I have just tried to arrange my new policy so mentioned I have a TomTom as a modification. As it is not a factory fitted SatNav they declined me insurance and warned me if I used the SatNav and were involved in an accident they would not cover me either.

Not so simples  [blink]

A warning to the many SatNav users on the forum....

So what are we to make of this then:

http://www.easier.com/75957-santander-car-insurance-tomtom-sat-navs.html

In the UK I think the insurance ombusman would have a view on any insurance company refusing a claim simply becuase you had a sat nav, if you had an accident whilst fiddling with it then that would be another matter.

I suspect the very mention of the word 'modification' is what your insurance company has latched onto but unless it were an expensive permanemtly fitted indash unit I can't imagine why anyone would even contemplate declaring it at all, I certainly wouldn't and will not in the future.

Whats the difference between having your TomTom on the dash and having your mobile phone on the dash? modern phones have GPS built in too. An average GPS is not a fitted modification to any vehicle, it is merely something that is being carried.

If my insurers started playing that game, they would find themselves on the receiving end of a jiffy bag containing the contents of the cats litter tray.

Completely agree, I had heard of someone being declined post accident but thought urban legend, so as I was arranging my insurance this morning I asked. The non factory fitted roof rack, OK, but what a TomTom that I plug in myself..."I am sorry but we must decline cover" after they had spoken to the underwriter.

Q    What's the difference between God and an underwriter.....................

A    God doesn't think he's an underwriter! [:)]

Naturally I shall be writing a letter on Monday.

It was Axa, in the UK, conversation meant I am not using my satnav (TomTom) and have got insurance on that basis. So far I have been unable to find any documents from the ABI that are anti satnav or describe the problems on "modifications" i.e. self installed removable items. In fact the ABI seem in favour of satnav as it relaxes the tension that occurs when people get lost in un familiar areas and also allows better concentration levels and a lot less wasted miles.

I think I may have been faced with the Saturday underwriter and once I can clarify the situation with the regular Monday-Friday underwriters all may be resolved but I certainly do want the situation either way disclosed fully in print for my file.

So not declined in the full sense, hence stay stum [:)]

Even your link makes a differentiation between fitted satnav or in the case of the tomtom removable, I had heard that a "dog" insurer throughout a claim on a removable satnav as it was fixed to the windscreen by a mount and that meant installed. trying to find that link.... 

Hmm, this would kind of alter my conversation on Monday!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/axa-car-insurance/competition/win-a-garmin-nuvi-265w-satnav

Just reading through the documents, I have one of those payment protection insurances built in (the ones that everyone is claiming back on for mis selling) looks like I can claim at least 7 months worth of premiums back as I was ill and unable to work for a chunk of last year.

Roll on Monday [:D]

[quote user="Théière"]

I heard a little while ago of a car owner having his insurance voided after an accident because he had fitted a TomTom (a modification) without informing his insurer (UK)

I have just tried to arrange my new policy so mentioned I have a TomTom as a modification. As it is not a factory fitted SatNav they declined me insurance and warned me if I used the SatNav and were involved in an accident they would not cover me either.

Not so simples  [blink]

A warning to the many SatNav users on the forum....

[/quote]

I would have thought a modification would apply if you say had a tow bar fitted as that is permanently on the vehicle,  (we do declare our tow bar) a sat nav or even a roof rack, could not be a modification as it is not permanently fitted. So sometimes under their rules the car would not be modified because the satnav is not in the car. Or are they saying if you have an accident whilst the satnav is stuck to the screen they won't offer cover?

Steve

Something doesnt ring true. 

Firstly plugging something into a charger socket supplied for the purpose can in no way shape or form be called a modification and be declarable.  What about if you run it on its own battery, or my phone plugged in recharging?  Some options are factory fitted and some dealer fitted.  Should you declare those as mods?  Does it make a difference with dealer fitted pre or post first registration?  Is every aftermarket stereo a reportable event as a modification?  If putting a new stereo in is voiding your insurance, why arent there bl**dy great notices all over Halfords?

Secondly as about 50% of cars on the road seem to have these devices on their windscreens about 50% of crashes and claims must involve cars with them.  If claims were being refused on this basis the internet would be awash with comment (which it is not).

Thirdly, Google "car insurance - sat nav" and Santander, Tesco and others are offering discounts or vouchers towards sat-navs.  NFU mutual has a note on them discussing that you cannot forget comon sense and just follow a sat-nav but does not say vehicles are not covered.

Indeed Steve, unfortunately what we the public think and what the demi gods of the insurance world can get away with is totally different. I have the vehicle registered as modified because of the roof rack but been too busy so far this week to enter into battle with AXA although I shall. I believe they said on Saturday that if I have an accident whilst the satnav is stuck to the screen they won't cover me but even that wasn't crystal clear as I was talking to the company support line (why do they refer to them as customer support, they don't support us at all) [blink]