Heads up! Ryanair launches its own prepaid mastercard, starts imposing fees on other prepaid mastercards

Pickles

For those who use Ryanair, please take a look at

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair-launches-branded-prepaid-mastercard

Basically, from 4th October, they will be selling their own prepaid Mastercard, for £6 (they will give you a £6 Ryanair travel voucher to compensate you). This will then be the ONLY card that will not incur charges when booking on Ryanair in the UK.

Regards

Pickles

Thanks Pickles; I knew it was coming along sometime. We've always jumped when they said jump, regarding cards, so we'll move on to that one of course. Our next flights are returns for 2 for under €30, with no tax or online checkin to pay - and, of course, no card fees! Can't beat it for short flights!  [:)]

Just to clarify: it looks like the card will not be available for purchase until 4th October and current prepaid Mastercards will be OK until 1st November. After 1st November, all UK bookings made with any other UK MasterCard prepaid card will attract Ryanair’s £6 admin fee per passenger, per one-way flight.

Regards

Pickles

My understanding is that you will incur a booking charge using the new Ryanair pre-paid mastercard, but a credit voucher for the amount will be given to be used towards your next booking.

I have not read the new terms and conditions, but if you booked a flight for four passengers and then your following booking was for yourself, presumably you can only offset the credit given for your previous flight and not the other passengers?

Anyway, it is anticipated the UK government will shortly ban debit card charges or admin fees, something Ryanair is no doubt pre-emting by launching it's own card whilst there is still interest!

[quote user="Sprogster"]My understanding is that you will incur a booking charge using the new Ryanair pre-paid mastercard, but a credit voucher for the amount will be given to be used towards your next booking.[/quote]

No, I don't think that is correct. The charge that I think you are thinking of is the "card purchase fee" - ie you pay a one-off £6 to buy the card itself. This is what they are reimbursing with a voucher. There will be no charges for buying flights with the Ryanair prepaid card.

As for the rest of your comments, yes, it will be interesting to see whether the UK govt actually finally DOES something about the whole question of these types of charges.

Regards

Pickles

I notice that the posts refer to "bookings made in the UK". I have also read somewhere that in some countries outside the UK courts have dcided that the imposition of some card charges is illegal. Are we safe in assuming (probably not safe in assuming very much where Ryanair are concerned!) that a prepaid euro mastercard can continue to be used, for example, when bookings are made in France for flights originating/returning to France. Perhaps a CB could also be used without charge?

UaG

[quote user="Un autre Gallois"]I notice that the posts refer to "bookings made in the UK". I have also read somewhere that in some countries outside the UK courts have dcided that the imposition of some card charges is illegal. Are we safe in assuming (probably not safe in assuming very much where Ryanair are concerned!) that a prepaid euro mastercard can continue to be used, for example, when bookings are made in France for flights originating/returning to France. Perhaps a CB could also be used without charge? UaG[/quote]

That's an interesting thought. We book using a euro Mastercard, usually from France; that might mean we wouldn't have to go for their own card!  [:)]

Reading between the lines, there seems to be a 'minimum' top up of £150 - is that each time you top up or just the first? Fine until March 2012 when you can do your shopping in Sainsburys with no transaction charges, however after that you are almost always left with a largish 'credit' on the card.. And a £2.50 a month dormancy fee - not sure how that's worked out, every month thereafter if the card's not used far any one 6 month period, or not again if you buy a newspaper with it?

And what currency to buy the card for - Euro or GBP? Transacting in a different currency seems to incur a 5.75% fee.. Can't remember if you can override the currency charged on the Ryanair site by selecting the /fr version? Or does the mean having two cards, both loaded to £150/€150.. ?

I'm generally a pro Ryanair user, but some of this leaves me feeling a little uneasy about 'unfair competition' as we will have no say in what will be charged, how much (in the future) etc.. If there are no other cards to choose from, what's to say it may not cost £6 to load the card in the future unless you 'can only make a 'cash deposit' over a Post Office counter somewhere in Dublin..?' (Flying to there with Ryanair of course..)..

Seems to me that unless you are going to use Ryanair on a regular basis, or travel in a large family group, the costs of using the new card maybe more expensive than stumping up the debit card admin fee.

What is for certain, is that Ryanair will only be doing this if they see it generating more money than the loss of booking fees through it's use!

[quote user="Sprogster"]Seems to me that unless you are going to use Ryanair on a regular basis, or travel in a large family group, the costs of using the new card maybe more expensive than stumping up the debit card admin fee.

What is for certain, is that Ryanair will only be doing this if they see it generating more money than the loss of booking fees through it's use![/quote]

I'm guessing that may be the whole point, and the airline will be in a 'win win' situation..

Anyone know when the OFT (or an MP?) will rule & implement on the debit card situation? May be worth holding out until then as I wouldn't want to get yet another card merely for a couple of months.. And cancelling cards (to avoid dormancy fees..) is almost as much hassle as getting one in the first place!

In the past we have been approached by Ryanair whilst in the queue at Stansted asking if we want a Ryanair credit card. When we say we dont have a UK address they said we were not eligible. (not that we wanted one anyway).

But does that mean that we wont be able to get one of their pre-paid cards?

I heard on Moneybox this lunchtime that you have to use your card, or top up, every six months to avoid the charge. It is the same with our current prepaid - Escape.

This was dealt with on the BBC Watchdog programme this week; unfortunately the usual superficial Watchdog coverage, from which it's impossible to learn or digest the full conditions. I'd welcome something that avoids the charges on Ryanair as I'm a frequent user, but remain sceptical about this card.