Ryanair Cash Passport - £6 booking fee

Pickles

We received this email from Ryanair yesterday:

[quote]It is with regret that we write to inform you that, as a result of decisions by the

UK OFT, Ryanair Cash Passport card users will no longer benefit from avoiding the £6

admin fee for transactions made on Ryanair.com from 1st December 2012. While we are

disappointed at this development, Ryanair is obliged to honour the decisions of the

UK OFT.[/quote]

Well, that card lasted 1 year. The previous incarnation, where you had to use ANY prepaid Mastercard, lasted a couple of years.

The undertakings made by Ryanair are listed here:

http://oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer-enforcement/surcharges/Ryanair-undertakings.pdf

It is interesting in that the basic price must in future include any admin fee for debit cards, but not credit cards, for which additional fees can be charged.

It will be interesting to see what is Ryanair's next move on this matter.

Easyjet allocated seating is a good thing?

I don't think it is on such short flights, and surely they will charge extra for this? I have never wanted or needed it, keeping costs down is all I want on Easyjet as the prices appear to be going up and up.

[quote user="idun"]

Easyjet allocated seating is a good thing?

I don't think it is on such short flights, and surely they will charge extra for this? I have never wanted or needed it, keeping costs down is all I want on Easyjet as the prices appear to be going up and up.

[/quote]

I always find it is far more civilised boarding a BA flight with allocated seating than the British Bulldog scrum of boarding easyJet.

Apparently they are dropping speedy boarding (£8?) and seat choice will be £3 (more for more leg room). Obviously x times £3 is going to be greater than y times £8.

Paul

If you do not pay the £3 fee to choose a seat, you are allocated seats when you check in and apparently families will be sat together. Just like the old days.

The rugby scrum that ensued with free boarding was putting some passengers off, especially families and the elderly. Also the hoards of passengers queuing up at gates long before they opened so they could be amongst the first to board and avoid the middle seats, or crowding around departure screens ready for the sprint to the gate, was causing obstructions at some airports!

The argument of the two low cost carriers that have free seating was that it saved time, but when Easyjet trialled allocated seating this summer, they found that not to be the case.

Even Ryanair is adding another two rows of allocated seating.

On the subject of priority boarding and allocated seats, I like pre-allocated seats and I don't really understand why Ryanair and the rest can't do this. It just needs a bit of software.  However, when travelling alone to the UK and back, the flight is rarely more than 1h15m (even though they always annouce 1h40m or similar) and I don't mind where I sit.  Also, it's always seemed incongruous, flying cut-price but then paying for a "luxury" extra (I use the term loosely!).

This summer I flew to UK to collect our young grandchildren and that's when the priority boarding is an advantage, allowing us to avoid the main crush and sit three seats together. Similarly if you travel with elderly folk.