Train to Brussels

Blodwyn

Thinking of going to Brussels. Husband not in good health.  I looked at flights from Toulouse.  An alternative would be train from Agen.  Costs vary depending on day and time. With 1.5 hrs to Toulouse, plus time to get the shuttle from the car park and minimum hour to wait for the flight, plus the journey from the airport to Brussels centre it occurred to me that train from Agen might be quicker and less stressful.

Has anyone tried this route and was it relatively stress free?

From looking at the SNCF website, there doesn’t appear to be any direct trains - all involve changing in Paris from Montparnasse to the Gare du Nord. That might be a bit of a problem if your husband’s health isn’t great.

Overall journey time is just under 6 hrs, which is probably about the same as the flying option.

The only other suggestion I could make is whether there are any trains which might give you a connection at CDG airport - then no trek across Paris. The people at Agen station might be able to help with that.

You can get the TGV from Bordeaux to Lille I believe. That takes just under 5 hours. Added to that the (approx) 1.5 hours fom Agen to Bordeaux St Jean. When you're in Lille you're nearly where you want to be. That would probably be a less stressful journey than travelling to Toulouse. Don't know where you're living but I believe that there are flights from Bergerac to Brussels.

• 2 weeks later...
If you wanted to fly from CdG to Brussels, I believe the TGV from Bordeaux to Lille stops at CdG. I've picked it up often enough at Tours (well, St Pierre des Corps) as a direct connection to CdG.

Mind, if it was me, I'd just carry on to Lille, and pick up a train connection to Brussels. Isn't Lille where the trains from London split, some to Paris and some to Brussels?

Cheers