Bee problem?

We've discovered bees in the apex of the roof at the end of the building (30ft above the ground), inaccessible unless we break through the ceiling or lift off the roof tiles. An old apiarist advised that nothing should be done while they are makng honey. Someone else suggested that this would be a job for les pompiers. Others have wondered if there is any harm in just leaving them.

Any thoughts or concrete advice based on experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My understanding from local apiarists in 24 is the les pompiers no longer are responsible for clearing bees and thast they will pass you on to a local apiarist to clear the hive.

If the hive is so difficult to reach I'd just leave it for the time being, speak to your local apiarist at the end of the summer then clear it - although  the honey may be quite strong, maybe do a deal on getting the honey from the hive? 

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

My understanding from local apiarists in 24 is the les pompiers no longer are responsible for clearing bees and thast they will pass you on to a local apiarist to clear the hive.

[/quote]

The same is true in 46.

Ask at the Mairie if the Pompiers still do wasps. If not, buy some stuff to put OUTSIDE the nests that they take inside. It kills the grubs and the queen, similar to, and made by, Nippon, for ants.. My mate used it at his UK house last year, no wasps survived it, and all were gone within a week.

He DID have to climb a ladder to put it up near the nest entrance though, he made a little landing stage for the wasps, and put it on that, then stuck it up after dark when they were all inside. And HE'S scared stiff of even one wasp!

Alcazar

Hugh,  The ones you have in your roof are paper wasps and there are probably loads of small individual nests as they are solitary wasps which don't form colonies. Each queen guards her own brood for months. They love the heat under the tiles and anywhere else really hot, post boxes seem to be a bit of a favourite as well.

Unless you are thinking of crawling about all over your roof with a spray can and probably being attacked at the same time, it's maybe better to leave alone, normally they only sting when they think that they or their nest are being threatened.

I don't do roofing in summer, always September on through the autumn or early spring!

On the bees, my vote would be to leave them alone, they won't damage anything.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Usually the local apiarists will take a bee hive for nothing especially if it's a swarm because they will often use the swarm as a new rouche.

If it's wasps then they will probably charge but it won't be a lot.  As Chris said, if it's paper wasps you're better off doing it yourself though as it's July and if they're not bothering you, I'd leave them.

Wasps will sting more readily than bees but neither will sting unless to upset them.

Same problem last year. Mairie had a list of local apiarists and even contacted one for us. Nest was between shutter and window on first floor they had to bring in scaffolding, but no charge. We bought them a bottle of whisky [:D]

we just bought this spray stuff from m. bricolage (a bit pricey) which claims to be effective from 6 metres.     other half went half way up ladder to roof and let loose with spray at very sensible distance.     I was very sceptical that it would work, but that was two days ago and we havent seen a wasp since...   i have two little bees which i do however permit to live in a hole in my cottage wall, and they often come out and talk  to  me, very non-aggressive, no idea which kind, but the wasps were coming in through windows upstairs and causing a total nuisance.

[quote user="londoneye"] i have two little bees which i do however permit to live in a hole in my cottage wall, and they often come out and talk  to  me, very non-aggressive, no idea which kind, [/quote]

We have some solitary bees like those as well.  In fact, all 50 of the vent holes in the upstairs window frames have now been neatly capped off with wax.  Any idea when the brood break out?

[quote user="londoneye"] i have two little bees which i do however permit to live in a hole in my cottage wall, and they often come out and talk  to  me, very non-aggressive, no idea which kind, [/quote]

We have some solitary bees like those as well.  In fact, all of the vent holes in the upstairs window frames have now been neatly capped off with wax.  Any idea when the brood break out?

We had a very large number of somewhat aggressive bees that had taken up residence in a join between the house and a lean-to while we were away for a few days recently, they seemed to have nested right inside the stone wall somewhere. They would not have been a problem, except it was right beside the front door, making it dangerous to go in and out. The neighbour said the sapeurs pompiers would deal with it, they refused and told us to find an apiarist. There were none very near, those a bit further away were not interested. The maire put us in touch with a company that deals with wasp and hornet nests in our area. The chap came out almost immediately - it was about 7pm and he had two more visits after us. He sprayed some powder and some liquid into the wall, and said it could take up to a week to work. In fact there were no bees at all the next day - I don't know if they were just forced to move house or if they were killed. I don't like the idea of killing things, but sometimes it has to be done. The process was very quick and efficient. It took longer for the man to put on his protective clothing before doing it and to write out the invoice afterwards than for the deed itself. In answer to a previous question, cost was almost 100€ plus TVA, but well worth it.

I've been told by a French person that the powder you get for Doryphore (Colorado beetle) is very effective for wasp nests, but you have to use it at night. Also, it is not strong enough to get rid of bees or hornets.

Sounds about the same - under window cill.   Didnt like me staining the window much, flew around very anxiously squealing away at me - very little round things but quite cute.  However, may not be quite so cute if there are hundreds of them - we shall have to see - dont like to kill anything really unless its necessary, so hopefully they will have one nice boy and one nice girl and be happy with that !