Grass snake killed by bird.

chris pp

find that one really strange chris, usually other marks where the assailant has had a hold of the snake, hawk or buzzard etc. I don't know of any blackbird size killers with the cohonas to tackle a snake, even one as small as this. Any chance it was a mammal os opposed to feathered, thinking of stoat/weasel type animal failing that an eager heron?? Did you find it in a field by any chance, hugh ...

It was in a court yard garden, quite a small one with a house and some other buildings.

It's totally fascinating for me, no other damage what so ever, not a mark on the skin, nothing, but I wonder how often this happens? Another 5 minutes and it would have been gone, no one any the wiser.

I have examined it in great detail, in fact it's "sitting" next to me at the moment, the size of the hole can only have been made by a small / medium size bird, it really is a clean pointed "peck", no marks on the underside of the head, so not a bite as such.

Great find, Chris

Would a jay attack a snake if it was close to its youngsters? May seem a daft thing to say in November but i sat and watched doves nest building today!!! Chris, why are you so sure it would have been eaten within 5 mins, are there cats in the area or perhaps fouine, maybe even the culprits.

PS was it lying straight out or curled up??

Sorry Hugh, missed your post. First it was lying more or less how you would expect to see a snake when it is moving, not straight but not curled or coiled in any way.

Defence is an interesting thought and it wouldn't have to be a Jay, although it could be, and yes, this fairly mild weather is producing some interesting happenings with wildlife, with some species still breeding that wouldn't normally. I assumed (bad thinking) that it would have been eaten, but that may not have been the purpose.

Chris

No, Hugh, not near where I live, but as Christine points out, chickens do eat snakes and it is well known that larger birds of prey take quite large snakes, so logically there is no reason why a smaller bird shouldn't do the same, or attack them at any rate.

BTW, Christine, no chickens in the vicinity.

Slightly different, but I only discovered the other day that some birds of prey take a substantial number of bats.

Chris