Little green frogs

Would someone kindly advise me what I should do with the little green frogs which come sneaking into the house around this time of the  year.  It is not that I mind them being in the house with us for the winter but I don't think it is a very safe place for them and I would like to relocate them to somewhere that they can live out the winter more safely and more naturally.  The daft little things do like to get onto the wall side of doors, window and shutters - you know - where they are sure to get crushed when the door etc. is closed.  I have a big pot of sorrel just outside the door and I have been putting them in there because it is quite lush and I keep it moist but they just keep coming back in.  I think they need to be further from the house but in what kind of environment - please?

Cassie, I just keep putting them back outside and eventually they seem to find a place where they settle, usually between a few pots and a door we don't use.

They can get through quite tiny gaps. I don't like a hermetically sealed house, so I expect they come through any gap.

They'll be fine - they are just taking an easy option which probably wouldn't be good for them once you get the heating on full whack. They'll find a place to suit outside, I'm sure.

Mine always come back. Or their children do...

The little green frogs are what we call Tree frogs, or Rainettes as the French call them. Yes they get everywhere, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do they always seem to return. Until you create an environment which they don't like, ie as Tresco said, turning your heating on. They come and go chez moi much to the amusement of Ted my cat, who won't eat them, he just likes to watch and occasionally 'play' with them [:@]

Tony

Going by where you live, Phil, that is either Rana Lessona or Rana kl. esculenta. The hybridisation with these frogs is a little complex and there is still a long way to go before it's totally understood, there is masses of research going on and frequently the frog would actually need to be captured and examined in detail.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

Are they tree frogs?   I kept meaning to ask which specific frogs it was that people were referring to, it's sort of easy to assume rainettes, but of course there are numerous other Grenouille vertes.

Well, what you got?

Chris

[/quote]

Sorry, I have been offline for a few days.  I am pretty sure they are tree frogs but of course, since I posted I haven't seen any but I have seen (and heard) similar frogs in South Africa and Malayasia.  They are exactly like the ones illustrated on your website, 3 to 4 cm.,very bright green and have a lovely smooth, satiny skin.  They are mostly with the stripe but I have seen a very few of the other stripeless ones.

Am I being silly about them?  It is just that I have understood that all frogs appear to be becoming endangered and so I thought that if I could prevent one or two getting squashed within a closing door and they then went on to have a "litter" , it may help a bit.   I had put them in the pots near to the house because, until last week, it was really very dry here and I could at least keep the pots moist.  Perhaps that is why I seemed to have so many of them.

I don't think that anyone is being silly who takes the time to consider the other forms of life which we share this planet with. Most amphibians are suffering to some extent, mainly due to pollution of one form or another or habitat loss, so it's very important if you have any species present where you live to try to understand their requirements and facilitate their continued survival.

The Rainette méridionale and the Rainette arboricole have a different song, the méridionale is clearly much slower. When I have figured out how to do it, I will add their sounds to the web site.

Good luck with your "tree frogs", Anne

Chris