Wasp behaviour

Mark

For the second day running, a wasp (presumably the same one) has been making a scratching noise on a bamboo screen in our garden, sitting there for ages scratching away.  Without wishing to sound too much like a stand-up comedian, what's all that about?  Is he calling others to make a nest nearby?

Thanks.

I don't want to seem like an idiot but I'll risk it[:P],  don't some kinds of wasp scrape wood then chew it up into a paper substance that they use to build their nests.  I took pictures of some of them on their nests this morning when walking the dog but I just can't get the focus right so none of them were very good.

Yep, the waps are chewing up the wood ready to make their nest - it's that time of year again! They have been "chewing" my wooden bird table and garden bench for the past few weeks (luckily they don't completely eat it!! lol!) We found the start of a nest under our plastic garden table! Unfortunately that had to go, didn't fancy sharing our dinner with a nest of hungry wasps! Joy

Wasps have been eating my garden bench the past 10 days or so, so that's why they do it.

Our wasps are very laid back, I haven't felt threatened by them at all, but I still get rid of the nests as the yappear, well the ones by the house.  They haven't paid any rent.