Owl in Daylight

Alex H

Yes, it is my favorite - The Little Owl - le hibou in French - and we had them in our grenier when we bought the house, hence the name now of 'Le Hibou'. The owls have since moved out of the house, but nest under the eaves, and in the barn. They often sound like a cat calling, although they have several different calls, and are around all day as well as at night Owl 2 

Nice to see you back Michael, I hope you are going to stay with the forum. You can save the list to your computer simply by clicking on the "save" symbol that appears in the top left hand corner.

Just as a by the by, we have had barn owls, tawny owls and little owls nest at our place this year, makes dusk interesting.

Chris

Thanks again Chris. Yes, I'm afraid you are stuck with me for the forseeable future. Have to admit that the main attraction to the site is this forum. A great source of valuable information, particularly for relative newcomers to France, like me. Congratulations on Planetepassion, which is also very informative and interesting.

"Just as a by the by, we have had barn owls, tawny owls and little owls nest at our place this year, makes dusk interesting". An understatement if ever I heard one.

We were fortunate to have a little owl in our barn when we arrived in October last year, although I have not seen it recently. I have heard tawny owls, but unfortunately, not seen any barn owls. I have no doubt the barn and in particular, the hay storage areas in the roof, provide excellant accommodation for owls. Very quite, dry and easily accessible. I intend building nest boxes for different owl species, the barn owl in particular, which is my favourite. I normally follow the guidelines in Chris du Feu's book on nest boxes. Unless of course you have other recommendations, for which I would be very grateful.

Michael