What type of snake?

kosh

Hi all , thinking of moving to the poitou charentes area , whilst viewing a few properties on our last visit , i notised some movement in the lake and was surprised to see a snake about a meter long gunning across the water . i managed to get a few pictures of it.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/pikeykosh/badhead.jpg[/IMG]

What type of snake do you think it is ?.

We have seen plenty of Water Snakes down in the River Gardon in the Gard, I do not think they are poisonous but if cornered would be capable of giving a nasty bite. We see Adders/Vipers from time to time in our garden and Wood Shed in France, on entering making some noise and having a big stick helps the mind.   

The one in the water will be either a grass snake (couloevre) or a viperine snake, (couloevre viperine), neither of which are venomous. Sorry for the spellings, I can NEVER remember how to spell it.

The first can grow to 2m, and can give  nasty bite if cornered, but is more likely to move off once it hears/senses you coming.

A Frenchman once told me: if you see a snake IN the water, it's more than likely harmless.

If it's lying on the banks, steer clear unless you KNOW what it is.

Also, WHEN did you see this snake? It's very early for snakes yet, esp in water...........