First Hoopoe

seb47

Just spotted this little fellah in our garden in 47. I don't recall seeing one quite so early in the year. This is the first time I've posted a photo so hope it works (I followed the instructions on the photography forum). It was taken through a window so might not be as clear as it should.

Pete

[IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/peteandsue_photo/IMGP0522.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="seb47"]Just spotted this little fellah in our garden in 47. I don't recall seeing one quite so early in the year. This is the first time I've posted a photo so hope it works (I followed the instructions on the photography forum). It was taken through a window so might not be as clear as it should.[/quote]

It's a lovely picture Pete, well worth posting.

They're such shy birds. I've been trying to get out of the door quietly enough to get a photograph, and failing.

I should just clean my windows.[:)]

I tried taking a photo of this gorgeous bird who has been in my garden with its' mate for a few years now - but didn't succeed! 

I want to say that it looked like this and I thought it was a Jay

only it isn't blue but a russety colour. 

Don't make fun you bird lovers as I'm lost after Robins, Blackbirds and Sparrows!

Thanks for your kind comments about the photo. They are one of my favourites, along with wrens and red kites. One of these days I'll manage to photograph one (Hoopoe) with its crest sticking up. We usually have a pair here during the Spring and Summer. Jays are beautiful and love the oak wood next to us - as Pads photo shows. However they seem to prefer our cherries and plums to acorns when these are freely available! The jury seems to be out on whether they (and supposedly magpies) raid other birds' nests or not. They certainly compete to make the loudest squawk in the woods!

Pete

[quote user="seb47"]

The jury seems to be out on whether they (and supposedly magpies) raid other birds' nests or not.

Pete

[/quote]

Magpies certainly do, I've watched a pair take every fledling out of a blackbird's nest before. Neither the parent blackbirds, nor I could have any effect on the magpies.