Raptors

[quote user="Keith CHANNING"][quote user="water rat"]

I've also seen them flying off with quite large snakes in their talons.

W Rat

[/quote]

Unlikely to be a buzzard, more likely a Short-Toed Snake eagle  - Circaëte Jean Le-Blanc. Similar looking to a buzzard and as variable in colour, although slightly larger

[/quote]

Was going to post the same, but you beat me to it.

[quote]One day last summer I saw seven buzzards in a group for a period of about 10 minutes before they dispersed, normally there are only two or three together at most.  Was the large group unusual?

[/quote]

I've often seen kite in large groups, but buzzards seem to top out at 3 or 4, except on rare occasions.

[quote user="water rat"]

Yes, it was definitely one of our resident pair of buzzards which take snakes ,of which we have quite a lot in the area judging by the amount I see squished on the road.

W Rat

[/quote]

EEEEEEUWWWW!

Where's that? I MUST keep away!

I'll go along witht cats killing birds!! They tread VERY warily in our garden [6]!

Hoddy, your buzzard could well have been a short toed eagle. There are quite a few round here. A bit bigger than a buzzard and a similar colour to a pale one.

http://www.andalucianguides.com/itineraries/sample_01.htm

Lovely birds.

I was up on the Isle of Skye a long time back and I was fortunate to see a periguine sort out 2 golden eagles that were getting too close to it's nest. Feathers literally flew off f the eagles before they beat a hasty retreat. Absoutly no defence at all.

Link edited by the moderators for copyright reasons.

I once saw a Golden Pheasant (from a train) in Yorkshire, and that would be fairly unlikely as a wild bird. Very beautiful, but very daft.

Hi Dick, gamekeepers often put down more exotic looking pheasants and use them to gauge if poachers are working in the area, theory being they will shoot/capture ' the fancy looking one' and the fact that it is missing usually sets the keeper on a more vigilant time, same theory applies to black and often white coloured rabbits, Though it is fair to say that the rabbits are also put there to introduce new blood lines.

As for seeing kites and buzzards hunting, if possible pick a windy day when the farmer is harvesting his silage and sit back and marvel at the intuition of these birds as they follow the bailing machine and swoop down on all the mice that flee from their cover, bad news for the mice, but great for us, Hugh.

That had never occurred to me, I just assumed it was a pet bird that had escaped. They would last about 10 minutes in the wild!

We've had a Barn Owl in out loft this year, and the mouse problem has suddenly disappeared! Well, to be precise it has been converted into droppings which we've had to get someone in to clear out...

Progress?

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

I wish Chris. I did a slight naughty and 'borrowed' it from this site www.andalucianguides.com, I hope that they don't mind. It is a lovely photo though, I agree.

The site looks quite interesting. I would love to see the migration. It must be quite a sight?

[/quote]

To respect the copyrights of the original site, the picture has been removed and replaced by a link to the relevant page.

Forum Moderators