Beekeeping

I'm thinking about setting up my own bee hive.  Are there any legal restrictions or obligations, or can I go ahead and set up without permits, etc?

I have a friend who kept bees for many years so I'll learn whatI need to know to fulfill the needs of the bees fully and safely. 

Cheers [:)]

Up to 9 hives doesn't require any permit, over 9 hives you have to register as a business. Hives should be 500 metres from your neighbor although in practise this isn't normally an issue. 50 metres from a road and there should be signs up warning of bees. There may be particular health issues in some departments, ask your local vet.

Chris

What part of France are you in, Newbiee? If you contact your Maison d'Agriculture, they probably have a bee officer and you may get some information relevant to your departement. We're in Manche, for eg, and there's a very active, helpful beekeeping association run out of St. Lo.

• 4 weeks later...

My hubby is learning bee-keeping here in UK, and hopes to continue with it when we move, with just one or two hives. I have seen bits and pieces for sale at the local co-op, including hives and honey jars etc.

How do we find out about what is happening in the Haute Vienne, can I still go onto the site you gave earlier? I take it we can not bring a live hive with us, so how do we go abuot getting a swarm in France?

Thank you.

Hi, pity you are so far away,we need to get rid of a bees nest that is in the stone wall of our house,not the first nest we have had, the last was between the shutters and the window, we are having a devil of a time finding someone interested in coming to collect the queen, if we don't have any luck our artisan is going to have to get rid of them in other ways, as his pointing of the stone is getting close to them, does anyone know of a bee keeper around Duras that would like to intervene, have tried the yellow pages, but to no avail.

We are about to travel over to our house in Morbihan, Brittany. A neighbour has told us we have bees nesting high up in our outside wall, and as our letting season is about to start, I have been hurriedly trying to get someone to remove them as quickly as possible. There are apparantly some dead bees in the house, but no live ones to be seen when she went in to check. The pompiers wont remove them as they are outside and not considered a danger, and two bee keepers have said that trying to set up a hive to entice them away at this time of year would be fruitless. Does anyone know if this is fact, or are they simply not interested in doing it? Are we really stuck with them, as I fear we may have to cancel our bookings for the season if, when we get there next week we think it is a problem or danger for our visitors. This is already a dire year for lettings, so we need any help we can find.

The funy thing is that once you start keeping Bees everyone thinks you are an expert !!  Not so by a long way and I'm still trying to get to grips with the art.  I've have been asked numerous times to remove bees from barn / house walls and to be honest from all my research and speaking to experts (?) its practically impossible.  People say we have a swarm of bees in the wall, please can you move it !  I try to explain its not a swarm, its an established colony and the bees are very happy where they are thank you very much and have no intention of moving into a box I may offer them, no matter how I entice them  !  and try doing that in French !

The only chance you may have of removing an establhished colony of bees is if you can get above them, if not you are faced with having to distroy them.  To do that is a shame because wild bees are getting rarer by the year.  You will also be left with a huge problem of honey dribbling out of the walls !