White cylindrical cocoon / nest

Lori

I wish I had taken a picture of it before I removed it, but I am really curious what it was.

It was a white, cottony looking cylindrical cocoon found in the recess of the frame (wooden) of a window.  It was about 10 cms in length.  I removed it as I thought it was some sort of wood maladie (had no idea really, but didn't want to leave it there).  Inside were six roundish egg type things.  They were brownish in color and filled with a pale liquid.  They looked almost like partially dried grapes.  The white cocoon did not fall apart when I removed it.  Seemed fairly solid.

Now, I realize that is about the weirdest description I could give you, but does anyone have any clue what it might have been?  I've never seen anything like it.

Tried a web search, but came up with page after page of nothing similar.

Hi!

It could have been: chenilles processionnaires.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenille_processionnaire_du_pin

or:

http://www.fredon-centre.com/plus_processionnaire.html

Although normally you find them in pine trees.

If it was that, they are very dangerous, and when they hatch, they can kill an animal, if they get their tongue. You need to remove the " nest " with gloves, put them in a plastic bag and seal it, and put in the dust bin or burn ( then paper bag ).

Yours,

giantpanda

Thanks GP, but I am pretty sure it was not the chenille processionanaire as I am, unfortunately, most familiar with those.

The cocoon was totally different from the chenille's cocoon.  It was tucked into the inner recess of the window frame - when I opened the window, on the left recess, I saw a long white cocoon tucked in.  There was a hole in the top of the cocoon.  That is  the only reason I thought it was perhaps a cocoon and not a wood maladie.

Still wondering.

GP you will only ever find the processionaly caterpillar cocoons in pine trees. By the time the cocoon is 4 inches long then yes they are dangerous and when I find them i always burn them. If you put them in the bin you could possibly put someone else in the firing line so to speak? If you ever see them in oak trees then they the oak processionary and they are just as nice (not) as their pine cousins

I don't have any clue as to what you have Lori, but if the 'eggs' look as if they are filled with liquid then they are probably well on the way through their metamorphosis and I don't think they could be wasps?