Blackbirds

When blackbirds are born, is it obvious which are male and which are female -( ie, yellow beak, black feathers) or do these characteristics develop later? I recently hand fed a fledgling which fell out of the nest - but not sure if it is now visiting the garden. Any ideas? Phylis

Sorry - I do not know the answer. But blackbirds singing at dawn is the ONE thing I miss since we moved here to the Jura. Our UK garden was full of blackbirds and thrushes - and waking up to their song was wonderful. Enjoy.

Talking of thrushes, these are Mistle Thrush chicks about one week old, taken this week in a palm tree in our garden in the Gers. I hope this works as it is the first time I have posted a picture .

[IMG]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz259/baypond/mistlethrush.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you, Chris. Some weeks ago I found a lost and very tired fledgling blackbird on the path and it was so exhausted it had lost the power to call for parental help - I spent the whole day giving it water and looking for worms - difficult in the dry spell we had at the time. By the end of the day it recovered enough to call for its parents and they returned to feed it. I then 'helped' feed it for several days - cut up raisins and worms - very special. There are now three blackbirds in our little garden and the younger scruffy one is seemingly quite tame - not afraid of me being close by. Lovely. PB