Hornet nest - can it destroy the tree & I am allergic to bees stings too?

Hornets have recently made their home in the lower part of an oak tree trunk only about 3 metres from our patio.

Question 1: Will the nest weaken the tree as it already has a lean to it and is close to the electric power line? The trunk must be about 1 metre in diameter.

Question 2: I am allergic to bee stings; am I therefore going to be allergic to hornets stings as well?

Help please! Thank you.

[quote user="Pat and Don"]Hornets have recently made their home in the lower part of an oak tree trunk only about 3 metres from our patio. Question 1: Will the nest weaken the tree as it already has a lean to it and is close to the electric power line? The trunk must be about 1 metre in diameter. .[/quote]

No.  The tree is already weaked and nothing the hornets will do will substantially change that

[quote user="Pat and Don"]Question 2: I am allergic to bee stings; am I therefore going to be allergic to hornets stings as well? Help please! Thank you.[/quote]

Not necessarily.  the poison from bees and wasps/hornets is completely different.  I would however be cautious, since evidence of a single allergy may be an indication of allergy to several or even many substances.

So if they are so close to the patio area - and may therefore feel threatened whenever we are there also - what do we do?

We are perfectly happy to let the little beasties have their lair until autumn and wait for them to die off unless they start to sting and I turn out to be allergic - as I am with bee stings? I have never been stung by a hornet and have no idea whether I would be allergic or not, however, if I am, and anything like the reaction I had to bee stings, then I might be in trouble? Advice please from anyone who has had a similar scenario?

The tree sounds as though it will be OK but does anyone know if there is a connection between the stings of bees and wasps please?    

[quote user="don and pat"]I have never been stung by a hornet and have no idea whether I would be allergic or not, however, if I am, and anything like the reaction I had to bee stings, then I might be in trouble? Advice please from anyone who has had a similar scenario?[/quote]

See these discussions:

Looking at Wikipedia, it says the European hornet sting in itself is not fatal except sometimes to allergic victims. Its sting is similar to a wasp's; is less toxic than a bee sting. All hornet stings are an allergen for people with an allergy to wasp venom.

Those allergic to wasp venom are not necessarily allergic to bee venom as they contain different chemicals. They contain less volume of venom than a bee sting.

I am allergic to wasp stings; I couldn't live near a hornets nest. I don't know the legal ins and outs, but in UK I would have the pest control people round. They come the same day if we have a wasp nest, as they did on Monday. I'm usually very keen on looking after all creatures, but with an allergy like this, there is a risk to life.

Do you carry an adrenaline shot - epipen? If not, you should visit your doctor very soon and get 2; one to carry everywhere, and the other as a back-up.

Good luck, Jo