New Open University Beginners French

Diana

Just found this and thought it might me of interest. A new beginners French course from the OU. They say no prior knowledge required and will get you up to a good GCSE standard pass in one year. Cost 350 if UK based and 700 if outside the UK. I am sure any friend with a UK postal address would get round that one. It starts for the first time this November, I am thinking of doing it as it would give some structure and grounding to the French I know and I imagine would require learning how to write as well as speaking and listening.

Diana

http://www.open.ac.uk/beginners-languages/french.cfm

Diana just beat me to it, I was going to post a similar message.

J and I are signing up for it and the one week residential course in France next year, even though we hope to be living there by then.

We're both OU students from way back when, my first course was studing the Common Market way back in 1974 I think.

Tony Fuller

Hi,

I am studying the Level 1 Course at the moment, L120 Ouverture. I was going to do the 2nd level course last year, but chickened out and decided it might be better to start with L120 so that I would be able to follow the OU theme and style of language tuition. I'm doing OK so far, and hope to do Level 2 next year so will be going to Caen for the residential week then.

My husband, has registered for the beginners course starting in November, he can speak and understand French very well, but has always insisted that he can get by without the need for learning the grammar part, he has always skipped those bits, but now realises that he does actually need it!

Look forward to seeing you all at residential school next year!

Milly

>Just found this and thought it
>might me of interest.
>A new beginners French course
>from the OU.

I've signed up for this to plug the gaps and build decent foundations as my understanding of french is not too good.

Maybe we can start a sub-forum here in November for some online discussion of the course? Although from past OU study they will probably provide their own online forum.

Andy Spencer

Francophile in Essex

I am still waiting for all the info and registration pack from the OU. Does anyone know if there is an exam at the end of the beginners course or if its based on coursework.

I hate exams!

Diana

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the information. I am currently on my 4th yr at OU doing English Lit, and I really can't take more studying! But have mailed Keith the link, perhaps he'd like to have a go at it, and then I can 'borrow' the books!

Re Residential Schools.... these are brilliant! I have done two in the past couple of years and all I can say is that it feels like a whole 3 yrs of Uni life condensed into one week - absolutely manic! You'll sleep for a week when you get home...