On line translation is Fantastic......

JohnM

I still find I use on line translation far too often, but today I have been reminded that I shouldn't rely on it too much. The following from AOL news, 

La religieuse de Castres est morte de coups violents portés à la tête (autopsie)

Has been automatically translated by Google as

The chocolate éclair of Castrate died of blows violent ones carried to the head (autopsy)

Well it amused me (and acted as a timely reminder)

There are many online translation services some better than others. However, I have come across one where a professional translator will produce a precise translation at no cost to you via email.

http://www.thewordsmith.cjb.net/

For automatic translation, I have found this one to be the best of the bunch.

http://www.reverso.com/text_translation.asp

Hope this is of use.

Baz

[quote]There are many online translation services some better than others. However, I have come across one where a professional translator will produce a precise translation at no cost to you via email. ht...[/quote]

Hi from Redcap,

I cannot see why someone would be offering to translate lenthy documents free of charge? Am I missing something here? Nobody does anything for nothing, except on LF!  Perhaps I will email him my house deeds that we have just received, I wonder if they will be translated and back to me within 7 days!?  Sorry, but I just can't see what's in it for him. As for reverso, I think it's miles better than Babelfish.

Regards,

Bob (22)

[quote]"I cannot see why someone would be offering to translate lenthy documents free of charge? Am I missing something here?" I emailed this person, whose name is Megan Owen, to ask how and why she offers...[/quote]

Hi!

What about security?  You are sending a complete stranger personal information, what is being done with it?

Regards, Bob