OU L192 - How are we all getting on?

Andrewjspencer

• 2 weeks later...

finding it a bit hard going at present, too many verbs, adjectives, infinitives etc.  but plodding on.  Have started TMA3 not as daunting as it seems when you first look at it.  There is one bit of the listening I am struggling with, need to put it on a larger speaker to try to make it a bit clearer, if anyone knows, what job does Gina do?  Ive got the rest.

Enjoying the tutorials tho

Paula

The course has certainly hotted up in the last couple of weeks. I still have not found a routeen to work by. Life at the moment is a bit hectic. I find prpositions the worst, I have spent a very happy life so far avoiding anything to do with them. I am pleased that we are being made to understand the basics.

Diana

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished TMA 3 today and will get it in the post tomorrow - relief!

So far I am not finding the course particulary hard in its content - it is proving harder to find a routine and keep to it!!

In case you hadn't noticed the TMA Answer Sheets are now available in Word format from the OU site - look under course resources.

Anyway, I promise promise promise to start TMA 4 next weekend (regardless of hangovers  etc et al!)

• 2 weeks later...
The first 2 TMAs went well and I am waiting for the results of the third. After my initial doubts about the material I now think it is well presented and I have unnderstood all the points they make. Remembering it is quite another matter, in one ear and out of the other. I would really appreciate being in a room with other students and having a good natter about it. I have only managed to attend 3 turorials so far and as we are just about to set sail I won't be able to attend any more. I'm not sure what I will do about the final assessment, maybe I will have to come back to the UK to take it.

Diana

Interesting to hear how you are all getting on.

So far I've got 95, 94, 85 so I am quite pleased with myself. I have seen some criticism on the OU site about the nature of the course and how some are finding it hard.

Looking at TMA4 I think I will now have to knuckle down and follow the course books and CDs quite closely.

So far, I haven't been able to get to any tutorials as theu have clashed with work etc so I can't say how useful they may be.

This is not a beginners course - even one of the tutors has posted this publicly on the OU site.

You work through the examples, you answer the questions and then find you get it wrong because they introduce new vocab in the answers. The OU are revisiting this course to determine any changes they need to make.

The official L192 conference is mainly about how experienced OU students, some with degrees and MA's from the OU simply cannot get to grips with the course.

My personal experience - as an on-line tutor and someone who has done other courses from UK universities, it is unstructured, they throw grammar at you with no explanation and there is no translation of the main work and no index or vocab. Save your money as most of us on the course are spending ours on other courses to support this one as we need to pass.

Marks out of 10 - 1 or 2 unless you have a good grounding in French for this supposed beginners course.

For me, I would have been better spending the money on 1 to 1 French conversation lessons.

I would be interested in your thoughts about the course and its standard I am looking for something to do when I have finished the A level this year.

How are the course materials

what sort of standard are the TMA's

How do you find the Tutors

What are the residential weekends like

Most importantly how useful do you find the language being taught

Many Thanks

Richard

L192 is on a par with a good GCSE, the next course is similar to an full A level, so I would imagine you will need the course after that, sorry but I don't have any of their info to hand. Have a look on the OUs web site.

After my inital grumblings abouut the course material I now think it is very good. When you condider they have to give you everything for you to be able to complete it by yourself it has to be thorough. Another good thing is it is designed for adults so the topics are more relevant than a course designed for school age students.

Diana

Sorry Diana, but as someone who has not only completed quite a few distance learning courses with another uni but has written courses for years the two most important things for me would be a vocabulary and an index - both of which are missing. One of the favourite tricks of this course is to introduce new vocab as an answer to a test question. How on earth do you get it right when they use worlds not included in the book or CD until then.

As I said - the overall impression is that this years course is not suited to a beginner - they are bringing on-line a website and other aids to help next years students so I would not say don't do the course next year just that there are problems with this years course.