Language question

Meo

I have fallen foul of "prochain", but in a different way...

A friend's daughter called on a Tuesday and asked for a bed at my UK home for "jeudi prochain".  I jotted it down on my calendar for 9 days' time.

Quelle horreur, while I was out at the cinema a couple of days later, the girl apparently arrived at my house!  The (new) neighbours didn't know me by then, and were of course unaware of my whereabouts, so they weren't very helpful to her.  Eventually she managed to contact a friend who had a job in London, and went off to sleep on his floor for the night.  I was unaware of any of this until the girl's mother rang from France a day or two later!

So be very careful about "prochain", and always make sure you have understood whether it refers to "this Thursday" (i.e. of this week), or "next Thursday"...

Angela 

• 3 weeks later...
It is not only the French language which can cause confusion. In this house 'next' has two distinct meanings. I think that next Thursday is the first Thursday (the next one in the calander). My wife insists that next Thursday is the Thursday of next week ignoring the fact that a Thursday occurs before that one. Obviously the same thing can apply with 'prochaine'

But she's right, Bryan, kesstuveux? 

Today is Tuesday 12th.   If I say "I'm going to Montpellier this Thursday, and Nimes next Thursday", it means I'm going to Mtp on Thursday 14th, and Nimes on Thursday 21st.

This Thursday is this week, next Thursday is next week.  Kein Problem! 

Then there are odd expressions like "Thursday week", which sounds completely alien to me.

• 2 weeks later...