Cheveceau ?????

Gardian

It appears that he got the answer by going back to the originator.  Reply was:

I did not expect you to summon the Académie Française to solve my problem! Thanks anyway!

The author has informed me as follows: 

Le mot "chèveceau" désigne un palier qui soutient l'extrémité d'un arbre. Je crois que vous
pouvez traduire le mot palier. Je vous joins une photo d'un palier moderne.
Le chèveceau était un palier en bois inserré dans le mur du coursier

It’s a BEARING in English.

Thanks for trying, all - now sorted.  Nice to be referred to as the 'AF' eh?

[quote user="Gardian"]

Le mot "chèveceau" désigne un palier qui soutient l'extrémité d'un arbre. Je crois que vous

pouvez traduire le mot palier. Je vous joins une photo d'un palier moderne.

Le chèveceau était un palier en bois inserré dans le mur du coursier

[/quote]

Can someone explain what this means?  My cack-handed translation:

The word "chèveceau" means a bearing which supports the extremity of a tree.  I think you can translate the word "palier" (bearing).  I've attached a picture of a modern bearing for you. The "chèveceau" was a wooden bearing inserted in the "coursier" wall.

"Coursier" - a courrier, or errand boy or a horse, possibly?  I don't understand!

Is it one of those forked wooden props that you see to hold up the branches of fruit trees to stop them snapping under the weight?

If it helps, my friend is a 'windmill enthusiast'  - as I've often said to him, it takes all sorts!

Periodical articles get published in their mag (the sort of mag that has the **** taken out of it on Have I Got News for You.

That might explain the bearing reference. 

There ought to be windmills down here, given the Mistral, but I suppose it's too infrequent.  You need regular, gentle-ish wind ......... no, forget it, too boring.

Thanks again all.