Language Barrier Scuppers Walker

Pierre ZFP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7270401.stm

This Guy's attempt to walk to India (why??) with no money and next to nothing else seems to have failed at the first hurdle so to speak. He turned back at Calais (how did he get accross the channel for free?)

'because he could not speak French, people thought he was free-loading or an asylum seeker.'

No! surely not!!

In one of his last diary entries, he wrote: "...not only did no one not speak the language, they had also seen us as just a bunch of freeloading backpackers, which is the complete opposite of what the pilgrimage is really about."

So if not one of them not spaek French doesn't that mean that at least one of them did speak it?  And what does he do at the next country (Germany presumably) and so on?

So back to free-loading in the UK I suppose........

What a muppet!

He returned because they could not get fed for free, now if there is one place in France where the needy can get food, clothing and shelter it is Coquelles/Frethun/Calais[:)]

"how did he get a cross the channel for free?" - I expect in  exactly the same manner as the illegals do the other way but far far easier, after all only the terminally stupid (or criminals) would try to smuggle themselves in that direction.

I bet that he got a free ride back grace à the UK.

We watched this on the local (Bristol) news yesterday and although he started this pilgrimage alone he picked up a 'mate' before he got to Dover.  Once in Dover he was met at the ferry terminal by a woman with her 16year old daughter who wanted to go with him.  The mother bought the three of them tickets for the ferry.  I am not sure that I would let my 16 year old daughter go off across the world with two strange men!!

An added difficulty whilst in France was that he is vegan.  Apparently no one had any vegan food.  It's hard enough for a veggie here let alone a vegan!

I think it was a nice, naive idea but done with absolutely no research and a trust in human nature... Shame really...

Gail

It is a great shame, although, it was totally predictable.

Against all odds,this man intended to  prove to himself and others, that  kindness will prevail. There is a lot to be said for that,  it is true that there are gratuitous acts of kindness that take place all the time everywhere - we probably don't see enough of those.

His intended journey as a pilgrim might seem unusual in our part of the world, at this time in history, and yet, " in both settled and nomadic cultures there is a great tradition of walking itself as an act of freedom. As the legendary British travel writer Bruce Chatwin once quoted from an old Moorish proverb, “He who does not travel does not know the value of men” – a telling comment on the process and evolution of the journey – and not the destination itself."

Not for the faint-hearted, to put yourself at the mercy of strangers.

Admirable intentions, but probably misguided in the circumstances. I hope he doesn't give up, though. Somehow the world needs more people like him, not less.

This may shed more light about his intentions:

http://www.justfortheloveofit.org/philosofree.php

[quote user="Gail Smith"]

An added difficulty whilst in France was that he is vegan.  Apparently no one had any vegan food.  It's hard enough for a veggie here let alone a vegan!

Gail

[/quote]

As my Father always said to me "beggars cant be choosers son!".

If I were an aid worker handing out the food parcels and operating the soup kitchen for those who truly have no other options I would be somewhat perplexed by somone choosing to leave a country that all others are heading for, who despite having no money refuses the food unless it is vegan.

He really will be better off walking around England, I cant think of another (dafter) country where he could do better.

Working for a living.

Yes, this guy does that too, apparently. (health food shop manager, which is a real job). Anyone ever had a sabbatical?

There is (perhaps too subtle) a difference between a scrounger - the bete noire of some people here and elsewhere - and what this man seems to be aiming for.

A scrounger is someone who tries to get everything he can for nothing. This man is trying to highlight human goodness, and goodwill. From all I have read about him, and the few of his ilk, is that they don't try to get things for free - but they believe in exchanging and sharing - skills, competence, knowledge, products. "You give me a sandwich, I'll repair your bike".  He seems to believe he has something to give in return for a bowl of salad. Anyone who doesn't agree with that, does not have to give him anything. It is not as if he is mugging old ladies, or stealing from anyone - no, he is banking on human nature.... which in itself, either takes a great deal of guts, or idealism, or both. 

On the other hand, if you believe that one lives to work, then perhaps you are consumed by the protestant work ethic. Just imagine on your deathbed, looking back at your life and thinking of your achievements: "What have I done in this life?

Well.....I....have worked for a living..."

Surely, there are moments in anybody's life, when one is entitled to try something a little different and risky? Especially for a good cause, even if it happens to be slightly misguided or out of time?

Just think about people like Gandhi:( and many others, you can insert any other name here) do you think he was a scrounger, who should have "worked for a living?"

The number of times I read on this forum and other places....."FOLLOW YOUR DREAM".....well, isn't this man's dream  as valid as wanting to retire in the sun, sipping wine by the pool???

Just for the record, I don't even know this man - who may be a loser and a waste of time, or a jerk, or all sorts of other things. So it is not him I am defending - just the notion of what he is allegedly attempting to do.

[quote user="5-element"]

Anyone ever had a sabbatical?

On the other hand, if you believe that one lives to work, then perhaps you are consumed by the protestant work ethic. Just imagine on your deathbed, looking back at your life and thinking of your achievements: "What have I done in this life?

Surely, there are moments in anybody's life, when one is entitled to try something a little different and risky?

"FOLLOW YOUR DREAM[/quote]

I did the above 4 years ago and gave away my flourishing business, backpacked around the world (encountering lots of human kindness) before moving here to follow the dream that I am still living.

Of course the reality is not at all what I dreamt but neither is it a cauchmar and it beats working for a living[:D]

[quote user="Gail Smith"]

.  Once in Dover he was met at the ferry terminal by a woman with her 16year old daughter who wanted to go with him.  The mother bought the three of them tickets for the ferry.  I am not sure that I would let my 16 year old daughter go off across the world with two strange men!!

[/quote]

WHAT?? [blink]

Yes, the guy may be a bit naive but the biggest idiot is this young girls mother.  I find this frightening[:@][:@][:@]