On entering a resturant

Pads

When you are met at the desk in a resurant the serveuse says... Bonjour Messieurs- dames . I notice this is plural even through there is only one man and woman . Why is this ?

Also:

J'ai réservée une table pour deux personnes, par téléphone , ce matin

Do I put the extra e on the end of réservée because Im a woman or because table is fem ?

Many thanks

Although it would be more correct to greet the woman before the man, Messieurs-dames has been used as a form of greeting for decades.

It is used when one or several mixed couples are being greeted together, as a shortened version messieurs-mesdames.

J'ai réservé une table...

No extra e necessary at the end of réservé in this instance, as you are using the auxiliary verbe avoir.

You do need one if you were to say "Une table est réservée", as the sentence used the auxiliary verb être.

http://www.synapse-fr.com/manuels/ACCO_PP_1.htm

[quote user="Pads"]

When you are met at the desk in a resurant the serveuse says... Bonjour Messieurs- dames . I notice this is plural even through there is only one man and woman . Why is this ?

Also:

J'ai réservée une table pour deux personnes, par téléphone , ce matin

Do I put the extra e on the end of réservée because Im a woman or because table is fem ?

Many thanks

[/quote]

Pads

I'd have to listen quite carefully to be sure if she says Messieurs on Monsieur. In a lot of cases it comes over to me as "m'sieur" and the final "s" would be silent anyway.

For the "J'ai réservée ..." question I can't see a need for the unaccented "e" at the end. This is because

(a) "Je" is the subject, and you don't agree a verb with its subject (reflexive & passive verbs being special cases).

(b) You only agree a verb with its object ("table" in this case) if it precedes the verb. This would normally only happen with pronouns ("Je l'ai reservée.")

Anyway, as you are saying it the final "e" is also silent, so it's only a problem if you're writing a homework answer, and I'm sure you wouldn't ask us for help with your homework. [Www]

Edit -- Thought I'd got in first but Clair wins again!

And if you're using a Windows machine é is dead easy because you just type <Alt Gr> (to the right of the space bar) and e.

In theory you can use the numeric keypad method on a laptop because they usually have a way of switching part of the main keyboard into number mode. Look at your J, K & L keys and you may find extra symbols on them; my J has <END> and <1>, for example. n my laptop you switch to keypad mode by pressing <Fn> & F11. It's a bit cumbersome but it means you can do it even on machines without extra character map programs.

Speaking of character mapping you could always use the Windows Character Map applet. On my Vista machine it lives at Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. Apart from accented letters you can also get things like the Yen symbol ( ¥ ), "care of" ( ℅ ) and sundry fractions (⅓, ⅔, ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞ ), let alone Greek, Cyrillic and other alphabets. It also tells you the keypad code for each character.

A fairly cheap and very easy solution is to buy a Spanish keyboard.   QWERTY alphabet, but with all the accents.  I've used one for a long time and I think the only thing that's missing compared with a UK keyboard is the '£' sign - but there's a way of producing that, as you can see.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Speaking of character mapping you could always use the Windows Character Map applet. On my Vista machine it lives at Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map. Apart from accented letters you can also get things like the Yen symbol ( ¥ ), "care of" ( ℅ ) and sundry fractions (⅓, ⅔, ⅛, ⅜, ⅝, ⅞ ), let alone Greek, Cyrillic and other alphabets. It also tells you the keypad code for each character.

[/quote]

Keeping this thread totally off topic, I've been looking for symbols for email, fixed telephone and mobile phone for a new letter head and followed the above hoping to find them in the Character Map but all to no avail. Any suggestions where I might find them?